What would happen to your tank if

Goby-won

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a plan, but unfortunately my best friend was killed in a car accident. I even had it spelled out in my will. Now, I honestly don't care what happens to it. I know my wife sees it as beautiful burden, but she would not keep it going if I was to pass on. I would tell her to post it here and on my local reef site and say highest bidder come and get it all. I am sure she wouldn't care how much she got for it, she probably thinks its only worth a $200 anyway.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a plan, but unfortunately my best friend was killed in a car accident. I even had it spelled out in my will. Now, I honestly don't care what happens to it. I know my wife sees it as beautiful burden, but she would not keep it going if I was to pass on. I would tell her to post it here and on my local reef site and say highest bidder come and get it all. I am sure she wouldn't care how much she got for it, she probably thinks its only worth a $200 anyway.

Hello,

I feel your pain and frustration on this. Some would think oh this was something they cherished and kept similar to a dog etc, Nope. I had to change mine, and hopefully nothing happens for a very long time. But I pretty much wrote a list of friends on here for my parents to try. Sadly none are local, and worse case the local aquarium.

Coralmaniac21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my mom is a fish person she got me into fresh water as a kid and ive been doing it 29 years.. reef keeping is 4 months new to me and i setup her 39g from platies to a rerf.

She knows basic stuff like water changes and using prime and stuff.. but she doesnt know how to dose or test watee or anything past that..

Ive actually wondered if i die what will happen to my fish.. i know she will take care of them.. but i dont know how well they will be taken care of.. and frsnkly if i died i doubt shed care about fish for a very long time anyway which makes it worse.

My close friend whome loves my tanks and looks them all the time when shes over would probly take care of my reef... but last time i had her watch my tank when i was gone for 6 days she somehow killed my kole tang.. flame angelfish.. royal gramma.. and almost killed my flame hawk.. overnight.. they were fine one day thrm dead the next morning i know because i asked for daily pics.

So she probly had lotion or something on her hands

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've given that passing thought as well. My wife seems like she's down for helping a little bit, but she'd want no part of the long term game.
I can also imagine it would be a difficult burden for anyone because of natural grieving and unwarranted guilt if, say, fish or corals started dying.

I'm only early 40's, but just learned that some fish could well outlive me. My plan would be to simply make sure she knows some of the local hobbyists and businesses who could give her a hand maintaining the tank until I'm planted and then assist in breaking it down and getting good homes for the livestock. That's my concept anyhow, help take this apart before it becomes a stinking cesspool of rotten fish stew and you can have the animals. If I ever were to end up with a few exceptionally valuable colonies or fish, I'd give her a heads up to try and sell them first.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the issue a lot of us have is that we may not necessarily be the only one in the house/family to love the hobby, but may be the only one willing to put in the time to understand it.

My wife loves our new tank and it was her idea to bite the bullet and make the investment even though it’s ‘my’ hobby.. but she has ZERO idea or interest in how it works.

I have considered what would happen to the tank if I was to be unable (or dead) therefore I’ll make a effort to make sure she knows how it works at least for long enough for someone to come and take it away. Or my daughter who is currently 6 months old may be old enough and interested enough by then..

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my younger son would take care of it. Unless he is still in the Marines at that time. (He goes in next June)

If not, I am sure it will get sold off.

Doesn't bother me. I wouldn't want to burden my family.

Of course, they are under strict rules that if I need in home care to live, they are to put me in a home and move on as well.

:)

Coralmaniac21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my younger son would take care of it. Unless he is still in the Marines at that time. (He goes in next June)

If not, I am sure it will get sold off.

Doesn't bother me. I wouldn't want to burden my family.

Of course, they are under strict rules that if I need in home care to live, they are to put me in a home and move on as well.

:)

You say that until you realize those home takes all thr money you have from your bank accounts... and misstreat you and let you sit in your own feces and urine..

Trust me ive seen it first hand snd experienced it.. my grandma in germany was put into one by my aunt over there and they took all her money and pensions from her.. she had to ask for money from us to get her hair done.. and they never watched or took care of her

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my wife would sell it, and use the money to travel, which would be fine by me since I would be dead and not able to voice my opinion anyway...

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no plans haha. My gf, and family have no understanding of how fish tanks work. To prove it... One time they asked me why I don't just put all my fish (fresh and salt) in one big tank... I just was like uhhhhh...
So my fish are in trouble if I die lol.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Wow so many interesting stories and dilemmas lol. We all seem to kinda have the same problem. It’s a strange thing what seems ones legacy and importance to one, means little to nothing at all to someone else. I do understand, for example my friend is huge into dairy cows. She asked me the same thing if I would take care of them. What would I do with 3-4 milk cows lol. I don’t think my neighbors would enjoy them in my back yard or common area lol.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I have actually given this some consideration. I have 7 FW and SW tanks. In the (hopefully) far future event of my death, she will contact 2 of my favorite LFS's to take down my tanks and she will take whatever they give. Even if you only have one reef tank, if there's no one that can responsibly care for it, it needs to be taken care of quickly. There will be so many things that the family needs to worry about, your aquarium should be the least of their worries.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Wow so many interesting stories and dilemmas lol. We all seem to kinda have the same problem. It’s a strange thing what seems ones legacy and importance to one, means little to nothing at all to someone else. I do understand, for example my friend is huge into dairy cows. She asked me the same thing if I would take care of them. What would I do with 3-4 milk cows lol. I don’t think my neighbors would enjoy them in my back yard or common area lol.
The dairy business is a goldmine! Lol

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to have it given to my local reef club. My wife will host a big party/reef club meeting and they will draw numbers for first choices of fish and corals. The grand prize will be tank, lights and all the other equipment.

I bet it will be one of our better attended meetings. :D

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my husband and I are into the hobby so unless we go together the other one will hopefully keep it going. The back up is parting it out to our reef club or if anyone wants whole thing bonus.

Nokiaec11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have gotten to know someone at your local pet/fish store that has the experience, let them know you would leave it to them just because you love it...if not in their home, they add it as a display in the store.

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think about this all the time at 63 years old! My son and his parter manage Ningaloo Reef Dive. They only got to see the beast (6 x 3 x 2.5 feet) the other day while passing through Perth for Cairns dive event. They are stopping by next week for longer on their way back to Ningaloo. I am going to put it to him that, should I drop dead, it's his and his sister's to do with as they see fit. Maybe it could go to the office at Ningaloo as a display. I won't be around to know either way, but I put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into it. It would be nice to know it'll be taken care of regardless.

OP
OP
Sarah24!

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Lol @Hemmdog yes the dairy business is huge but she only has three cows lol. Now if it was a whole dairy ahhh lol I have no idea. But I did tell my parents there are a few people more than five but less then 10 they could ask. I also am pretty close to one of my lfs and they said they would definitely make sure it was kept together and going. They even said that for example my niece or nephews wanted it but too young, they would move it and help keep it going until they were old enough to do it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back