What would I need to build a sump?

noahg2216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everything I wojkd need to make a sump for my 30 gallon tank?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A glass tank that will fit where you want it to go, some glass and a tube of aquarium safe silicone. I usually use salvaged glass I have laying around.
or you can buy a sump
I do simple ones. Some people do elaborate ones.
IMG_0331%5B1%5D-L.jpg

I made these baffles with an old aquarium top I had saved. I cut the glass with one of these
serveimage

OP
OP
N

noahg2216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A glass tank that will fit where you want it to go, some glass and a tube of aquarium safe silicone. I usually use salvaged glass I have laying around.
or you can buy a sump
IMG_0331%5B1%5D-L.jpg

I made these baffles with an old aquarium top I had saved. I cut the glass with one of these
serveimage
Ok thanks!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my 4 pieces of 1/4" baffle glass for $20 at a local glass shop. They even sanded the edges so it wasn't sharp. Other than that 100% silicon, 1" spacers (for between the baffles while the glue dries), and some painters tape (I used it to hold the baffles in place and to give my silicone a perfectly straight line).

OP
OP
N

noahg2216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my 4 pieces of 1/4" baffle glass for $20 at a local glass shop. They even sanded the edges so it wasn't sharp. Other than that 100% silicon, 1" spacers (for between the baffles while the glue dries), and some painters tape (I used it to hold the baffles in place and to give my silicone a perfectly straight line).
Ok thanks!

OP
OP
N

noahg2216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
or you can buy a sump
IMG_0331%5B1%5D-L.jpg

serveimage
And what is that big red thing in the middle called/what's it do and how much is one

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a skimmer. That one is a Reef Octopus 152s for my 75 gallon tank. There are many kinds and sizes of skimmers.

You also need plumbing to get the water into the sump and back to the tank and a return pump.

OP
OP
N

noahg2216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a skimmer. That one is a Reef Octopus 152s for my 75 gallon tank. There are many kinds and sizes of skimmers.

You also need plumbing to get the water into the sump and back to the tank and a return pump.
Ok thanks! And is a canister filter for a sump? And does it work good would any1 suggest it?

OP
OP
N

noahg2216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And a simple one would work just as good as an elaborate one or no? And does it still work good?

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! ;Bookworm This video from Bulk Reef Supply from their #BRS160 series is helpful to get a base level of knowledge regarding DIY and retail sumps and some things you may want to consider before pulling the trigger on anything. (All of the videos from this build series and their "52 Weeks of Reefing" series are extremely helpful resources! ;))

Things I have in my sump that may be helpful to you to consider:
- bubble diffuser at the drain input to minimize micro bubbles
- two filter socks
- a powerhead in the first chamber to keep loose detritus suspended in the water for the skimmer to grab
- a reliable skimmer (preferably slightly over-rated for your tank capacity)
- a chaeto reactor (outside the sump but the pump and return tube are in the sump and thus part of the configuration; some use a refugium for macro algae instead)
- a GFO reactor (not necessary on new tanks, optional regardless)
- my dosing tubes dose into my sump return chamber
- Seneye Reef monitor
- additional temperature probe
- my return pump

Hope this is helpful to get the gears turning! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

noahg2216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! ;Bookworm This video from Bulk Reef Supply from their #BRS160 series is helpful to get a base level of knowledge regarding DIY and retail sumps and some thing you may want to consider before pulling the trigger on anything. (All of the videos from this build series and their "52 Weeks of Reefing" series are extremely helpful resources! ;))

Things I have in my sump that may be helpful to you to consider:
- bubble diffuser at the drain input to minimize micro bubbles
- two filter socks
- a powerhead in the first chamber to keep loose detritus suspended in the water for the skimmer to grab
- a reliable skimmer (preferably slightly over-rated for your tank capacity)
- a chaeto reactor (outside the sump but the pump and return tube are in the sump and thus part of the configuration; some use a refugium for macro algae instead)
- a GFO reactor (not necessary on new tanks, optional regardless)
- my dosing tubes dose into my sump return chamber
- Seneye Reef monitor
- additional temperature probe
- my return pump

Hope this is helpful to get the gears turning! :)
Thank u! And yes it was very helpful thank u very much!!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back