What would you have done differently?

Tyler Miceli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First starting off in the hobby is very exciting! As with most things that are new to us, we tend to make many mistakes! Just curious to know what you all wish you could've, or would've done differently when starting your reef tank? And what have you learned when starting your next tank as past experience?

Saintnovakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not dipping everything and I mean everything! Then quarantining. You'd be surprised how your tank can have things lay dormant for ages and then you get a nutrient spike and all kinds if crazy pests crawl out of the woodwork. Dip and scrub. Dip and scrub. Amen.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Fill the tank with RODI from day 1 instead of initially filling with treated tap water.
2. Buy high quality Nitrate and Phosphate test kits (I now use Red Sea Pro) and keep a close eye on both N and P.
3. Depending on the levels above, use Lanthanum Chloride, Phosguard or Carbon dosing to keep them at levels I am happy with.
4. If GHA starts to get a foothold, and manual removal isn’t controlling it, dose Fluconazole.

This what I will be doing with my 2nd tank when I set it up later this year. The only problem I had with my current tank was getting rid of GHA which got rather rampant and killed several corals before I got it all under control.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back