What XR30 mounts work (tank mounted)

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I am looking to see what tank mounted light mounts are available that attach to a rimless tank for my XR30 g5?

I've tried the Radeon RMS mount, but I didnt like how it sagged, and wasn't very tall. I'd prefer 6" taller for better coverage.

Are there any other common options without having to DIY?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all

I am looking to see what tank mounted light mounts are available that attach to a rimless tank for my XR30 g5?

I've tried the Radeon RMS mount, but I didnt like how it sagged, and wasn't very tall. I'd prefer 6" taller for better coverage.

Are there any other common options without having to DIY?
It shouldn't be sagging at all. If you do not tighten it completely by holding up the light straight - it will not tighten properly IME. What thickness of glass are you mounting on? It could be that you have a bad mount - Before trying to DIY something, I would consider asking the company for a replacement?

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't be sagging at all. If you do not tighten it completely by holding up the light straight - it will not tighten properly IME. What thickness of glass are you mounting on? It could be that you have a bad mount - Before trying to DIY something, I would consider asking the company for a replacement?
Even if it didnt sag, I still think its too close to the surface anyway.

Are there any mounts that are higher up so I can have a better spread?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Even if it didnt sag, I still think its too close to the surface anyway.

Are there any mounts that are higher up so I can have a better spread?
I believe that they make a hanging mount as well. I would suggest though - that they recommend the height they do for a reason. I had a hanging mount - and tried raising it up - it gave a little more coverage - but a lot more light scattering into the room) - and overall no benefit.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant answer your question with any real help - I use the RMS mount myself.

But i did want to say they do indeed sag and Ecotech have stated this is natural. I wasnt a fna of it so i used a plastic shim in under the horizontal arm where it meets the main body. This straightened the mount and removed the sag. Been like this for a little over a year now.

Id imagine the only way to have anything at a different height would be to cusotm make something yourself or go the hanging kit route. Having said that, im sure the RMS mounts are designed for the lights at that height for a reason, id be inclined to go with it.

EDIT - image taken from another post on this forum.

Screenshot_20180301-171724.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cant answer your question with any real help - I use the RMS mount myself.

But i did want to say they do indeed sag and Ecotech have stated this is natural. I wasnt a fna of it so i used a plastic shim in under the horizontal arm where it meets the main body. This straightened the mount and removed the sag. Been like this for a little over a year now.

Id imagine the only way to have anything at a different height would be to cusotm make something yourself or go the hanging kit route. Having said that, im sure the RMS mounts are designed for the lights at that height for a reason, id be inclined to go with it.

EDIT - image taken from another post on this forum.

Screenshot_20180301-171724.png
I meant also to say - mine doesn't really 'sag' - but it does shine the light slightly to the back (i.e. the light is not exactly parallel to the water). I believe this is in part by design - to avoid looking directly into the lights

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant also to say - mine doesn't really 'sag' - but it does shine the light slightly to the back (i.e. the light is not exactly parallel to the water). I believe this is in part by design - to avoid looking directly into the lights
It may be and at least thats what Ecotech claim its for but i wasnt a fan of it. Some mounts done it worse than others and it lead me to believe its not a design feature but more an excuse for a flaw - If it was indeed by design id expect them all to do it but some did way more than others, on the same span of glass.

And to be honest, with or without the lean when standing the light would never be a problem for most adults - and when sitting it didnt change a thing, could still see into the light even with the "sag".

Either way, completely understand the OP's sag woes. :rolleyes:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back