Whats an better "medic" option?

JeancC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I was wondering what type of fish or invert would truly be a good addition to add to the tank eventually that could have helpful elements with keeping fish and coral healthy. I've read that a Melanarus Wrasse and a cleaner shrimp could be helpful in those aspects but I wanted to know you guys thoughts on it as well! Any insight would be appreciated! For context on whats in my tank currently as well to see if things mesh well I have 2 clownfish, 2 carpenter wrasses and a tomini tang.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a Waterbox AIO 50.3.
Melanarus get to be about 5-6" in length, so they like a lot of swimming room and a fairly thick sand bed (2") to bury in. One of the smaller wrasses might be more ideal (@i cant think would have a good recommendation).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a Waterbox AIO 50.3.
In a 3’ tank you’re looking at;
Halichoeres leucoxanthus
Halichoeres iridis
Halichoeres timorensis
Halichoeres biocellatus

IME, I would say Leucoxanthus is the best then followed by Biocellatus then Iridis and then Timorensis. So your best bet is Leucoxanthus. However, if you wanted the more colourful route iridis is a good option.

For the other side, going with a cleaner or fire shrimp is best IME, these will set up cleaning stations to help with ich and flukes.

OP
OP
JeancC

JeancC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 3’ tank you’re looking at;
Halichoeres leucoxanthus
Halichoeres iridis
Halichoeres timorensis
Halichoeres biocellatus

IME, I would say Leucoxanthus is the best then followed by Biocellatus then Iridis and then Timorensis. So your best bet is Leucoxanthus. However, if you wanted the more colourful route iridis is a good option.

For the other side, going with a cleaner or fire shrimp is best IME, these will set up cleaning stations to help with ich and flukes.
This info is very helpful! I was going off liveaquaria for size info and didnt know the melanarus get to 6 inches. I actaully had a radiant wrasse that was to stressed in the tank and didnt end up making it. Perhaps the Red lined wrasse or yellow wrasse could work then with my tank?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back