What's going on with my gem tang

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states. My tang has been slowly deteriorating it seems. His fins will get random holes and just looks beat up. I see zero agression in the tank. I feed seaweed daily, have a ground probe in the tank, run carbon once a week every other month. I see lateral line deterioration on him. Still eats like a champ and is completely unaffected by it. All other fish are perfect. In the video, the jawfishs' tail is gone, due to an ****** bluejaw trigger which was rehomed about 5 months ago. The tail just never grew back.
SG 1.025
77.6 TEMP
As a side note, I have been struggling with some of my sps and LPS lately and recently started to have a monti recede from the middle out. I made a post about a POSSIBLE bacterial infection slowly killing my sps and some of my LPS corals. Could the same bacteria that kills corals, start to take a toll on fish too?

Attachments

• MOV_1430.mp4
    69.8 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states. My tang has been slowly deteriorating it seems. His fins will get random holes and just looks beat up. I see zero agression in the tank. I feed seaweed daily, have a ground probe in the tank, run carbon once a week every other month. I see lateral line deterioration on him. Still eats like a champ and is completely unaffected by it. All other fish are perfect. In the video, the jawfishs' tail is gone, due to an ****** bluejaw trigger which was rehomed about 5 months ago. The tail just never grew back.
SG 1.025
77.6 TEMP
As a side note, I have been struggling with some of my sps and LPS lately and recently started to have a monti recede from the middle out. I made a post about a POSSIBLE bacterial infection slowly killing my sps and some of my LPS corals. Could the same bacteria that kills corals, start to take a toll on fish too?
The caudal fin damage looks like aggression, but the other fins are how Zebrasoma tangs show head and lateral line erosion. There isn't much to be done about it though - it could be tied to your carbon use, as low as it is. What brand carbon do you use? Stopping carbon use won't heal the issue once it starts up though. I can't tell for sure, but the tang does look a bit thin to me. Make sure it is getting enough fat and protein in its diet, and perhaps up the feeding frequency a bit.

Sorry, I can't help you with the coral issues, I'm mostly a fish guy.

Jay

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The caudal fin damage looks like aggression, but the other fins are how Zebrasoma tangs show head and lateral line erosion. There isn't much to be done about it though - it could be tied to your carbon use, as low as it is. What brand carbon do you use? Stopping carbon use won't heal the issue once it starts up though. I can't tell for sure, but the tang does look a bit thin to me. Make sure it is getting enough fat and protein in its diet, and perhaps up the feeding frequency a bit.

Jay
Feel like I tag you too much in these issues. Thanks for always helping the people around here Jay. As long as you're the resident fish whisperer want to chat with my clowns about their anemone refusal? Lol

OP
OP
150 Gallon Reef

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
I feed about 3 to 4 times a day. He's a pig! Is this something that can heal or do you think it will get worse?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed about 3 to 4 times a day. He's a pig! Is this something that can heal or do you think it will get worse?
I can’t really say - most zebrasoma I’ve seen with this do tend to progress to a point then stabilize. Be sure to only use pellet carbon, rinse it well, and don’t use it in a powerful reactor that might grind it up.
Jay

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I know carbon has been one of the suspected causes of HLLE for a very long time. Over the years have you become more certain or less certain that carbon causes HLLE? Do you have any suggestions for alternatives to carbon that could accomplish some of the jobs of carbon?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I know carbon has been one of the suspected causes of HLLE for a very long time. Over the years have you become more certain or less certain that carbon causes HLLE? Do you have any suggestions for alternatives to carbon that could accomplish some of the jobs of carbon?
Have you seen my article here? It offers more info on HLLE. I use well rinsed chemipure. Poly filter also works on some compounds. Well rinsed pellet carbon is pretty safe. Then, there are always water changes(grin)
Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back