OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can treat for 15 days if you can transfer to a second non-medicated QT without lowering the copper. I would also treat with praziquantel (I can't remember if you have already) two doses 5-7 days apart. You can do this in the second tank, while observing for any other signs of parasites.

The chances of infestation are pretty high in the supply chain in general, not specific to vendor. You might get lucky, you might not :/
I have already done two rounds of prazi and observed for almost 4 weeks. How do I do the 15 day treatment exactly? I am confused.

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You treat for 15 days at therapeutic copper levels making sure to test frequently, then transfer to a sterile qt and observe for a couple more weeks.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You treat for 15 days at therapeutic copper levels making sure to test frequently, then transfer to a sterile qt and observe for a couple more weeks.
Wouldn't that still take 30 days, so only advantage us you are only exposing the fish to copper for 15 days instead of 30?

Are you supposed to observe after the 30 day copper treatment too? Also is additional observation necessary if there are no symptoms to begin with and you are simply treating as a possible carrier? I've already observed for 4 weeks with no symptoms and done prazi.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, I noticed yesterday that one of my leopards is looking paler then the other. No loss of apetite or any other symptoms. I have been gradually raising the salinity by topping off with saltwater but that is the only change.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do wrasses change color frequently in response to stress? Could this simply be a result of raising the salinity? Oh i have also been feeding live blackworms but i swear intiially they both got brighter and are definitely more responsive to all food now.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do wrasses change color frequently in response to stress? Could this simply be a result of raising the salinity? Oh i have also been feeding live blackworms but i swear intiially they both got brighter and are definitely more responsive to all food now.
I noticed today that there is some aggression between the two, I think primarily the brighter one against the paler one but harder to tell. Nothing major just the occasional half second chase or fake nip. The rest of the time they are crusing around together for the most part although the paler one hides more and the brighter one leads the way usually and sometimes crusies by herself Is it possible that they are just establishing a pecking order and thats why one is brighter as well? Does it mean one is going to change to a male?

Thanks!

Last edited:

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish can pale out when stressed. They actually use energy to maintain their color, so if the energy is needed elsewhere they can appear washed out. Most likely, if the other is picking on the paler one to establish dominance that is the cause...but keep an eye out for other behavioral symptoms like scratching, swimming directly into flow, rapid breathing, etc.

As far as turning male goes...leopards aren't typically quite as quick to turn male as fairy wrasses or even halichoerus, but it's still definitely a possibility. You'll notice a gradual change in color and pattern, until eventually one looks like this:
d46b38a5274cfffc46ac879166f996d4.jpg

Could take weeks, or years before one turns.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish can pale out when stressed. They actually use energy to maintain their color, so if the energy is needed elsewhere they can appear washed out. Most likely, if the other is picking on the paler one to establish dominance that is the cause...but keep an eye out for other behavioral symptoms like scratching, swimming directly into flow, rapid breathing, etc.

As far as turning male goes...leopards aren't typically quite as quick to turn male as fairy wrasses or even halichoerus, but it's still definitely a possibility. You'll notice a gradual change in color and pattern, until eventually one looks like this:
d46b38a5274cfffc46ac879166f996d4.jpg

Could take weeks, or years before one turns.
Thanks ngoodermuth. No behavior changes really, just the paleness and the minor aggression. Both eat great, no scratching/flashing, swimming into powerheads, heavy breathing, or anything else like that. So hopefully that's why she's pale.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish can pale out when stressed. They actually use energy to maintain their color, so if the energy is needed elsewhere they can appear washed out. Most likely, if the other is picking on the paler one to establish dominance that is the cause
Agree; it sounds as though they're just establishing a hierarchy. Which may eventually lead to the dominant one turning male, but not necessarily either. There's still a pecking order amongst females too.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So i have not noticed any more aggression but the one wrasses is still paler than the other. No other symptoms. Will the other wrasse stay paler now that social hierarchy is established? I am getting ready to put them into the display tank so am trying to determine if there is possibly another cause.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So i have not noticed any more aggression but the one wrasses is still paler than the other. No other symptoms. Will the other wrasse stay paler now that social hierarchy is established? I am getting ready to put them into the display tank so am trying to determine if there is possibly another cause.

Did you decide to run any prophylactic treatments? No other symptoms besides being paler than the other fish?

Sometimes QT is a little stressful, especially for a sensitive species like leopards. I know my kole tang lightens up in QT, but gets much darker in the display where he has more room and hiding places.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you decide to run any prophylactic treatments? No other symptoms besides being paler than the other fish?

Sometimes QT is a little stressful, especially for a sensitive species like leopards. I know my kole tang lightens up in QT, but gets much darker in the display where he has more room and hiding places.

Just the 2 rounds of prazi, had to travel and didn't want to ask my pregnant wife to run and test copper lol. No other symptoms, eating great, looks pretty plump, active, etc. Good to know other fish can pale in QT just due to stress.

I have been gradually raising up the salinity (not even .001 per day) over the last week and currently the QT is at 33ppt/1.025 s.g., display is 35ppt/1.026. Once they match I plan on catching them and releasing into the DT. I have my first child coming in less than 2 months and need to get 2 more fish in QT so that my system has enough bioload to support my corals and keep me interested while I can't QT fish (i think raising the child and maintaining the display will be time consuming enough, at least in the beginning). I don't have enough time to run copper at this point with that plan so hopefully its just stress of the QT/social dominance situation, but I am approaching 6 weeks in QT for the leopards and have seen no symptoms (i know they can still carry disease). I do plan on running prazi and copper prophylactically with my next 2 fish though, so at least thats something!

BTW, do you have any issues with your Kole and the leopard? I would like to add a tang to my 90g eventually but am concerned they are too aggressive/territorial and most/all of my fish will be of the peaceful variety (might even get some more leopards). I would add it last of course.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kole ignores the sand wrasses, but chases my rhomboid here and there. And both my tangs chase each other, and the powder brown chases the tusk now and then. Nothing worrisome though, very nonchalant "get out of my path" type chasing.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%

Back