What's going on with this Ricordea?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ricordea Florida reproduce by division. I have several and the only one that has ever been in this spot is the curled up purple one shown. Several of these green crumbs are spread across this rock, not just where the mushroom is. What could they be? They are obviously not purple.

The little grey tissue blobs look like they came from the mushroom. It is on the verge of death after a multi day blackout for algae, so maybe they fell off. Curious.

1636996393259.png

Just to show that it's not a Yuma
cc 1.jpg

dhanking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green stuff looks like maybe the mushrooms stinger tentacles, which are supposed to be comfortably inside it's body. Has anything eaten or damaged your mushroom to make it's flesh come apart like that?

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green stuff looks like maybe the mushrooms stinger tentacles, which are supposed to be comfortably inside it's body. Has anything eaten or damaged your mushroom to make it's flesh come apart like that?
The only thing that could have damaged it would be some small turbo snails or one of the bristle worms I see sometimes. There are no fish or crabs.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your comment got me looking into bristle worms and mushrooms. Apparently, they have been know to start eating mushrooms. I have another mushroom that looks like a piece may be missing. Time to catch a worm.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ricordea Florida reproduce by division. I have several and the only one that has ever been in this spot is the curled up purple one shown. Several of these green crumbs are spread across this rock, not just where the mushroom is. What could they be? They are obviously not purple.

The little grey tissue blobs look like they came from the mushroom. It is on the verge of death after a multi day blackout for algae, so maybe they fell off. Curious.

1636996393259.png

Just to show that it's not a Yuma
cc 1.jpg
How long was blackout and did you treat tank with anything during this time?
The little green and gray blobs are literally mushroom dieing and falling apart. Ive never had a bristle worm eat a mushroom and I have tons of both lol. What other cuc do you have in tank? I have seen nassarius devour a dieing mushroom

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long was blackout and did you treat tank with anything during this time?
The little green and gray blobs are literally mushroom dieing and falling apart. Ive never had a bristle worm eat a mushroom and I have tons of both lol. What other cuc do you have in tank? I have seen nassarius devour a dieing mushroom
All I have is those snails and a cerith snail. I only have a small tank. I just moved it and there is almost nothing left. The entire inside is gone and it has a massive hole in it. Only 1/3 - 1/4 of it remains. I looked up bristle worms eating mushrooms and there were quite a few posts here and elsewhere about people catching them in the act.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I have is those snails and a cerith snail. I only have a small tank. I just moved it and there is almost nothing left. The entire inside is gone and it has a massive hole in it. Only 1/3 - 1/4 of it remains. I looked up bristle worms eating mushrooms and there were quite a few posts here and elsewhere about people catching them in the act.
For sure I dont doubt they will eat a mushroom ive just never seen it personally. I think the mushroom stressed and died and they are most likely finishing shroom off. Bristle worms don't eat my shrooms but do irritate them when the worms hang out around feet.
Did you treat tank during blackout?
Have you checked nutrient levels after blackout?

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure I dont doubt they will eat a mushroom ive just never seen it personally. I think the mushroom stressed and died and they are most likely finishing shroom off. Bristle worms don't eat my shrooms but do irritate them when the worms hang out around feet.
Did you treat tank during blackout?
Have you checked nutrient levels after blackout?
Nutrients are good and I have some reef flux in there, but that has not bothered them before. It sort of makes sense that it might go after them since I used to feed them 3x a week and all of there waste would end up there, but I stopped a week or so ago because of the algae, so no more waste to eat.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worms for sure. I had one mushroom that has really looked bad since the blackout and I decided to feed it. As soon as took my hand back out of the tank 2 bristle worms came all the way out of the rock looking for some. One headed straight under the mushroom. Too quick for me to catch though.

1637005092297.png

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 78 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back