Whats is this with my goni?

PMReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently saw this with my goni, anyone knows what it is?

AF46AC2F-BAA1-47D9-B750-58152CF2B30F.jpeg

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on it and see if it moves or changes at all or if any of the coral shows new damage. I had a wild purple goni years ago that had a wild nudibrach on it, blending in perfectly just the color and off ever so slightly until I saw the bald skeleton of the goni growing in size over a week.

OP
OP
PMReef

PMReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on it and see if it moves or changes at all or if any of the coral shows new damage. I had a wild purple goni years ago that had a wild nudibrach on it, blending in perfectly just the color and off ever so slightly until I saw the bald skeleton of the goni growing in size over a week.
should I scrub it off? or just let it be to ser if it evolves?

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched wat he'd mine for a few days then confirmed something was odd. Pulled the coral and pulled it off with some tweezers, a FW did and then thing basically fell apart. Luckily I never saw any more

OP
OP
PMReef

PMReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched wat he'd mine for a few days then confirmed something was odd. Pulled the coral and pulled it off with some tweezers, a FW did and then thing basically fell apart. Luckily I never saw any more
Ok, thankyou will see how it evolves the following days

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it could be a bacterial infection. If so, it could spread and kill the rest of the Goni.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is bacterial, it’s tough to resolve. Peroxide or Cipro are your best bets but even then it’s iffy.
You also don’t want to have it float around the tank as it could infect other corals. I’d gently put the coral in a ziplock bag without disturbing the infected part and isolate it in another tank or container.

OP
OP
PMReef

PMReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is bacterial, it’s tough to resolve. Peroxide or Cipro are your best bets but even then it’s iffy.
You also don’t want to have it float around the tank as it could infect other corals. I’d gently put the coral in a ziplock bag without disturbing the infected part and isolate it in another tank or container.
Ok will watch if its bacterial or a sponge and try to isolate it, thankyou

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
should I be concerned? or what do you recommend?
I just viewed this on a screen larger than my phone and am going to side with JGT. Its dead cells from a likely infection. Peroxide or iodine dip will be best bet.
Lack of food is a big issue with these coral and there are two types of food to provide Goniopora. The first is liquid amino acids. In short, they are simple organic compounds that play a major role in building proteins as well as other biological functions at the cellular level. Corals regularly take in available amino acids from the water column so it is easy to provide them with adequate quantities by broadcast feeding an amino acid solution.
The second type of food I like are dry powdered plankton. There are several different types on the market.
The general consensus with these is to keep Phosphate levels around .05 ppm and Nitrate levels between 10-20 ppm. This is a safe zone that not too many people will dispute.
What caused this? My guess is Lac of light which they need for production of zooxanthellae or too much water flow.
I would not recommend blasting Goniopora with a lot of light. I don’t think there are a lot of advantages to doing so. If you start to see the coral starting to turn lighter and bleach out, it is likely the result of high lighting intensity. When in doubt, favor lower lighting intensities until it is clear that the coral is demanding more.
One mistake I think some reef keepers make is providing them too much flow. If you have a powerhead blowing right at Goniopora from short range, it may kill off some of the tissue at that point of contact and cause a chain reaction to the rest of the colony.
Goniopora appreciate low to medium flow, but preferably with some randomness to it. That way you will get that gentle waving motion which helps keep the coral clean and brings food past the colony. If you see the tentacles violently thrashing about, that is probably too much flow and it would benefit from being relocated to a more calm section of the tank.

OP
OP
PMReef

PMReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just viewed this on a screen larger than my phone and am going to side with JGT. Its dead cells from a likely infection. Peroxide or iodine dip will be best bet.
Lack of food is a big issue with these coral and there are two types of food to provide Goniopora. The first is liquid amino acids. In short, they are simple organic compounds that play a major role in building proteins as well as other biological functions at the cellular level. Corals regularly take in available amino acids from the water column so it is easy to provide them with adequate quantities by broadcast feeding an amino acid solution.
The second type of food I like are dry powdered plankton. There are several different types on the market.
The general consensus with these is to keep Phosphate levels around .05 ppm and Nitrate levels between 10-20 ppm. This is a safe zone that not too many people will dispute.
What caused this? My guess is Lac of light which they need for production of zooxanthellae or too much water flow.
I would not recommend blasting Goniopora with a lot of light. I don’t think there are a lot of advantages to doing so. If you start to see the coral starting to turn lighter and bleach out, it is likely the result of high lighting intensity. When in doubt, favor lower lighting intensities until it is clear that the coral is demanding more.
One mistake I think some reef keepers make is providing them too much flow. If you have a powerhead blowing right at Goniopora from short range, it may kill off some of the tissue at that point of contact and cause a chain reaction to the rest of the colony.
Goniopora appreciate low to medium flow, but preferably with some randomness to it. That way you will get that gentle waving motion which helps keep the coral clean and brings food past the colony. If you see the tentacles violently thrashing about, that is probably too much flow and it would benefit from being relocated to a more calm section of the tank.
Thankyou, I think the case is the flow it had a bit much flow than the normal maybe so I will regulate it so its smoother to the goni. The feeding part I feed them Reef roids and Inalso give them A+B nutrition also not always bit once in a while I feed corals not constantly. Thankyou so will try to erradicate the infection

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back