Whats Nibbling My Cleaner Shrimp?

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an odd situation that's arisen and need some help.

Ever since re-homing a juvenile Imperator Angel, my skunk cleaner shrimp has been being attacked by someone. I first noticed it when his antennas were only half as long as normal, but now they're down to only about an inch from at least four inches, and even his feet and little claws are missing.

My bet is that it's my Melanarus wrasse, but I won't rule out another culprit. But what's odd is that this all started in the week since the Imperator is gone. I've placed the shrimp in an acclimation box to keep him safe, but need some advice on what to do next.

Any advice or explanations are welcome.

Inhabitants:
Desjardins Tang
Hepatus Tang
Coral Beauty
Gramma
Midas blenny
Green chromis
Melanarus wrasse
6-line wrasse

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the alpha angel back in the tank to keep the other fish from attacking the shrimp.
or
Figure out who is eating the shrimp, and get rid of that predator or don't get another shrimp. I would expect the shrimp to perish, but maybe it will pull through.

Good luck. I like shrimp and my wife loves them too so I can't blame the fish for trying to eat one. :)

OP
OP
Rovert

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the alpha angel back in the tank to keep the other fish from attacking the shrimp.
or
Figure out who is eating the shrimp, and get rid of that predator or don't get another shrimp. I would expect the shrimp to perish, but maybe it will pull through.

Good luck. I like shrimp and my wife loves them too so I can't blame the fish for trying to eat one. :)
Not possible to get the Angel back. He was re-homed because he was nipping at my cynarina and knocking over my corals. Seems we're just passing the buck on 'fish-dick-of-the-week' in my reef.

The shrimp is in a Q-box in the tank. He ate some flake food last night, I'm hoping he'll pull through and I'll see if I can identify who the culprit is in the meantime. Do you have any suspicions?

OP
OP
Rovert

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow-up question: will a cleaner shrimp grow new legs and claws the way a starfish will grow new feet or legs when severed?

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow-up question: will a cleaner shrimp grow new legs and claws the way a starfish will grow new feet or legs when severed?
Replied in your other thread. They should as I know crabs grow back their claws.

OP
OP
Rovert

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to follow up on this to confirm that a shrimp will in fact grow new legs and antennae. My little guy molted and he's nearly back to 100% after a week or so in an acclimation box. I'll add a couple photos later.

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green chromis, and I just bought a cleaner shrimp today.... within an hour the chromis eat half of one of his antennae! Think Mr Chromis couls be getting rehomed!

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to follow up on this to confirm that a shrimp will in fact grow new legs and antennae. My little guy molted and he's nearly back to 100% after a week or so in an acclimation box. I'll add a couple photos later.
Yes, they grow back (as you well know), but not like starfish. Regrowth is associated with molting. Keep it eating and fat. Another Molt would do it good.

Sorry, I have no info on the culprit...

OP
OP
Rovert

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green chromis, and I just bought a cleaner shrimp today.... within an hour the chromis eat half of one of his antennae! Think Mr Chromis couls be getting rehomed!
May not be the Chromis. I have 4 in my tank and have added 3 new Skunk shrimp, no problems since the Melanarus wrasse has been re-homed.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back