Cleaner shrimp stuck in molt?

  • Thread starter Thread starter litsoh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

litsoh

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 11, 2023
Messages
542
Reaction score
481
Location
Hawaii
What state or country do you live in
Hawaii
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This afternoon I found my skunk cleaner shrimp laying in its cave with its legs moving. Oddly enough it was active this morning during feeding. Could it be starting a molt?

Water params are:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
ph: 7.8-8.0
Nitrate: 5.0ppm
Salinity: 1.022
I use an API test kit
 
He just shot out of his cave like a rocket and then settled under wome rock work. Legs and swimmerets still moving but he’s remained on his back since. I’m debating on whether or not I should scoop him in a net and leave him in there for the time being.
 
Look like a goner to me and I don't see any food in its stomach. Mine retreat into rocks to molt, yours looks like a dying roach. Sorry..
 
Look like a goner to me and I don't see any food in its stomach. Mine retreat into rocks to molt, yours looks like a dying roach. Sorry..
He initially went into his cave but shot out a little while ago. I do see him eating when I put food into the tank. I even go as far as to target feed him a bit with a turkey baster and it seemled like he gobbled it up so that’s a little puzzling.
 
He just shot out of his cave like a rocket and then settled under wome rock work. Legs and swimmerets still moving but he’s remained on his back since. I’m debating on whether or not I should scoop him in a net and leave him in there for the time being.

Allow it to do its thing and assure calcium is at least 380 . Lower lights at least for 24-48 hours while it tries to debark from current skeletal body
 
Allow it to do its thing and assure calcium is at least 380 . Lower lights at least for 24-48 hours while it tries to debark from current skeletal body
Unfortunately the little guy didn't make it through, but I appreciate the help!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new