What's not to love about Gonipora? It's colorful, it flows, so what is it?

Do you currently have any gonipora coral in your tank?

• YES

Votes: 350 52.7%
  • NO

Votes: 230 34.6%
  • Used to but it died

Votes: 78 11.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 0.9%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really love Gonipora. I don't have many but I'm starting to really "get my head turned" from other corals by them. They come in a variety of beautiful colors, they sway in the water flow, and can grow pretty fast. So what about you? Here is some great info about gonipora care from @Tidal Gardens.

1. What's not to love about Gonipora? Cons?

2. Do you have Gonipora coral in your reef tank? (pics please)

image via @CoralAddict645
C390B395-6C0C-4D7A-A8A4-29FC3992AFD5.jpeg

Fishinabarrel

sCiEncE wILl Win
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still baffled to why my goni died.
Came from a well established colony.
All other corals thrived (40 of em) in the time frame.
IT is a mystery I will never solved.
Reluctant to try again until I get some insight on what causes goni deaths.
(one possible cause of death, stung by an elegance)

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I finally got one that didn't die, it's a nice shade of bright pink. My clowns have made it their home. I'd get more if I had room!

WhiteTailFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the same frag of green/teal goni for over a year one of my first corals but it has barely grown at all. it has still survived my rescent war with algea, which other corals have not. However in the past month, it has really started to come out and polyps are almost as long as when i got it. Fingers crossed that its well adapted now and will be thriving soon. I think it has something to do with having more nitrates/phosphates in the water. Ive been at 25ppm nitrates for over a month and the goni seems to like that.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got lots of gonipora in both my tanks, they add a great deal of movement but unfortunately in my experience you do get losses with them

I have some large colonies, like football size, but I sometimes add other new ones and they just fade away

My LFS once said the cultured ones do better, I don’t know if that’s true or not, but they are beautiful corals

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a number of Goni's in my tank. Super easy and nice growers.
My only complaint is that they aren't consistent on which ones can touch each other. In my tank, the pink and red ones seem to be able to kill the lighter colored goni's. I have a huge pink colony touching a smaller cotton candy colony without any issues.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a goni but with the three mushrooms in my nano I dont think I’d be able to have one (And I love the mushrooms). I have one corner where mushrooms can’t get to in the tank but I think it would ruin the rubbles look having another rock there

Last edited:

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goni was the first stony coral I ever bought but they just did not survive much beyond a year or so. From what I've read there have been a number of advances in keeping them in the last 40 years (like foods and I believe there was one element mentioned). Anyway I plan to try again once my current tank matures.

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have what is supposed to be a pink one but although it seems to be doing okay you wouldn't say it was pink. I love the movement but would like a bit of color.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love my goniopora, as soon as the person I know has a glitter bomb for sale, i am grabbing it.
Con, sometimes you just can't make them happy. No matter what you do. But, if they are happy... They can live through some tough situations.

This guy has been with me for over a year and a half, stung by a torch and received bjd. Grew back and got munched on by a powder blue tang. I forgot what else took place.
Still a small frag, a lot of energy goes into recovery before growth. for now, she can focus on growth
goni00.jpg
to the right of the pink goni here is a zombie goni. He died and is returning. Difficult to get the polyps in view. They are there.
goni02.jpg
I have a lot of pink.
pink-oo.jpg

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ORA red got HUGE and weaponized. It had extra long polyps with supercharged nematocysts and there wasn't much it couldn't reach on its side of the tank. I was sad to sell it as it was a beauty.

Side note. I think it's funny that on a reef aquarium forum words like nematocyst or coralline get flagged as misspelled :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back