What's on the agenda today?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.. For me, this is something very personal. I come from a military family. I have many relatives and friends who have battled with PTST and alcoholism/ drug addiction as a result of their trauma.

Far too often these Veterans, who should be HONORED for their service, are swept aside. It was very humbling for me today to speak to this young man. I intend to keep in contact with him and help him as best as I can.
I get it, I did my time for uncle Sam back in the 90's, I was blessed to roll my MOS (AFSC) into my current industry. Our military is a bit rough on the kids, especially in the Army & Marines. We can teach them to be hellacious warfighters, but not prepare them for post service life to work in the world. It's a ugly subject for me, like raises my blood pressure kind of subject.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it, I did my time for uncle Sam back in the 90's, I was blessed to roll my MOS (AFSC) into my current industry. Our military is a bit rough on the kids, especially in the Army & Marines. We can teach them to be hellacious warfighters, but not prepare them for post service life to work in the world. It's a ugly subject for me, like raises my blood pressure kind of subject.

I am reminded of a quote from a Hollywood fiction... "Hate my country??? I'd die for it!! What I want is what they want, and what everyone else who went over there and spilled their guts wants... For our country to love us, as much as we love it". (John Rambo, First blood pt 2)

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today started out as most... woke up, took shower, got dressed, went and got an $8 cup of coffee from coffee shop and headed up to the fish store. Picked up a couple corals and a Nem. nothing special here...

On my way home I had to get gas for my car. While I was pumping gas, I saw a young man going car to car asking for spare change. I watched him turned down by one after another and another... Something about this young man drew me... When he approached me, I was ready with a couple dollars I had in my pocket, which I typically don't carry. It's a plastic world today after all...

When he asked me if I had any change and I reached into my pocket, I saw his eyes alight with a true appreciation.

I looked at him, and what I saw was not the eyes of a drug addict, alcoholic or lazy person who would rather beg than earn a living. He was dirty, and looked much the worse for wear, but he was plainspoken and intelligent.

I spent a few minutes talking to him and learned he was an ex-Marine who's wife had left him while he was deployed. He had no family, no place to go. I gave him 20$ and took him to the truckstop a few miles away, paid for him to get a shower and do his laundry. I treated him to lunch and just spent a couple hours talking to him.

This young man, who could be my son in age, taught me more about life in those few hours than my own almost 50 years have taught me since it started.

Edit: Freedom is NOT free!! It is paid for with the blood of those who will never be here to enjoy it!!!
You’re a good man !
cheers to you for being that person .

previously I’ve always been the one to offer food or a warm coffee over handing over cash .
Your cardboard sign says you’re hungry , let’s get food .
I won’t ask where you bought your jordons but you’re hungry ..,,

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent the afternoon setting up my new doser

65A4B520-EDF8-4A26-8350-8B500B1F9FA1.jpeg

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At work watching fish and watching planes. I did do my bi-monthly reef testing and ro water making before work, good numbers and corals are finally starting to take off.
Send a few to the overhaul shop .
we’re getting a little slow

OP
OP
OrchidMiss

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally back from Tennessee! Gotta put filter floss back online, top off kalk, make ro water, and clean the glass. Hopefully I’ll have time for a water change tomorrow

OP
OP
OrchidMiss

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back