what's that electrical smell?!?!?!?!

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up to a crazy electrical smell, no smoke, it's definitely the tank, seemed to be coming from power strip I shop vacced then shamwowed it, now have a big butt fan running on it. Problem, smell isn't stopping. Can't find a melted plug, nothing feels hot, still no smoke. Smell might be better but I think I am nose blind.
let's go through the list of what could be doing this:

Heaters- checked, none cracked, no electrical current in any tanks
Water dripped on the power supply- dried everything off, no signs of standing water or current drips
24 hour lighting - checked, more rust than I would like to see, no problems, smell not coming from those lights

I did a ton of maintenance yesterday and tried to switch half the tanks to solar but don't have the battery available to power 700- watts(lol plz don't tell my wife).

I haven't gone through and checked the low wattage DC stuff since I don't think they have the power to melt plastic like the smell indicates.

Only problem I noticed in the maintenance was a leaking filter that I just pulled off the tank rather than try to repair.
My clown tangs are total jerks who splash the lights and me multiples times a day and taught the damsels to do that now too, I am hoping that's what happened, a splash got away from them and landed/dripped onto surge protector.

Ideas?

OP
OP
Stealthreefer

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol my fan does not have a big butt, apparently the brand name is not allowed
I would clip in a picture of the brand name but not trying to push my luck

OP
OP
Stealthreefer

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry life got crazy. My wife's mom retired out of no where and we all think something is wrong healthwise so she flew in to visit. I know that sounds weird but if you knew her you would understand.

Somehow the power strip(that I had on the floor stupidly) was full of water. I picked it up and it dripped for a day. Water was audibly sloshing around in it. Best I can figure out is I undid a drip loop while doing maintenance and a plug somehow dripped water into the surge protector and didn't short the circuit. There was probably a half a cup of water in there.

I got rid of that power strip even though it looks fine otherwise. New one is a foot off the ground and every cord has a drip loop and I cleaned off all the salt creep on the cords. Put new batteries in the smoke detectors.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 18 16.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 49 43.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back