What's the best way to get rid of turf algae?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm dealing with a bit of turf algae in the tank. What are the best solutions you guys have found?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hermits and pincushion urchins. Assuming it is not byropsis.
Definitely not bryopsis or gha. It's turf for sure. Easy enough to pull off, but figured something would probably be happy to eat it. I'm a little worried about hermits because I've got some tiny fish in there (barnacle blennies and eviota gobies).

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did just buy a chaeto reactor that I still need to put online.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might add a pincushion urchin to help clean it up.
I have 4 of them in my 75gal, and they keep it pretty clean. But you know what they like to do with loose frags, so be wary of that! :grinning-squinting-face:

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuxedo Urchins do a fantastic job for me (five in my 100g). I also have a Turbo Aquatics ATS which is amazing!
Yup, tuxedos are even better.

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that dark green algae on rocks that don’t come off, even when scrubbing with a brush. What gets rid of that?
I have that all over my rocks, the only thing that has removed it down to the rock is the pincushion urchins, they do small patches throughout the day so it won’t be an overnight fix, turbo snails and a conch help along with the fish but the urchin is the heavy machinery for my tank

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuxedo urchins are the key to success, I literally tried everything to eradicate red turf algae. added one of them to my 60 gallon and worked like a charm.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pincushions are alright but be weary that anything small may be on the menus if they need something to feed on (These are opportunistic hunters and I’ve witnessed a couple eating small fish).

Johnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For spot treatment I've put h2o2 in a 10ml medicine squirter. Turn off all the pumps and slowly saturate the clump with the hydrogen peroxide. That is really only practical if it is small isolated areas. If the rock is easy to pull out you can treat outside the tank which makes it really easy and effective.

I had luck with lettuce nudibranches once. They mowed it down and reproduced like crazy. Problem was as soon as one of the little guys was done cleaning an area, it would let go and float around the tank until a pump got him. After like a week there wasn't a spot of algae or a nudibranch to be seen.

In the past i have used algaefix marine. That stuff works amazing on turf algae, but it killed my snails which was odd. I haven't had any issues after installing my ATS, it stays in check now.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Draining the tank and applying hydrogen peroxide and picking/scrubbing it off. It’ll slow it down at least/get rid of it in that spot. I’m definitely guilty of scrubbing it off underwater though I don’t recommend that especially since it’s basically super glued to the rock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back