What's the difference between a normal bonsai vs. a garf bonsai?

Chris86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to order some sticks again. The garf looks nice. So does the regular bonsai. What's your opinion on which is better? Pictures always help :)!

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GARF would be a safe bet to go with for two reasons. One is that you know your getting a tried and try beautiful bonsai second if you ever want to sell frags in the future most people will recognize the name and know what there getting.

ReeferBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the one that fits your budget. Both are beautiful and not everyone buys coral based on the name and lineage. They both came from the ocean lol. Don't get me wrong I have some branded coral but the GARF is no more safe or beautiful then the regular bonsai. This is one of those corals where the GARF name gets attached regularly anyways wether it's legit or not.

mannyhernz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The garf "bonsai" has a specific growth pattern that is different than the regular valida. Thats what made garf name it bonsai. Other than that..just another valida

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My garf bonsai never grew much like a validia. The mariculture and wild ones definatly grow like a validia. They also get a lot of white in the branches when growing well which I love. The garf piece is a completley different coral imo. Pretty sure he got all his stuff out of figi back then, correct me if I am wrong.
Garf gets thrown on so many corals that look similar to the bonsai including tricolors. The garf is the only one that is a solid deep dark purple.

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ agree! I have the Garf and a reef buddy has three different maricultured bonsai mimics. There is a difference.

The Garf maintains the deep purple!

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My garf bonsai never grew much like a validia. The mariculture and wild ones definatly grow like a validia. They also get a lot of white in the branches when growing well which I love. The garf piece is a completley different coral imo. Pretty sure he got all his stuff out of figi back then, correct me if I am wrong.
Garf gets thrown on so many corals that look similar to the bonsai including tricolors. The garf is the only one that is a solid deep dark purple.

Agreed. Real Garf Bonsai is not just a regular valida with a name. I'd take the Garf over a tricolor valida anyday.

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought this awesome colony of GARF from Adam at battlecorals.
b71bc8073e5e671f71b0cfe01835b8c4.jpg

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I was wondering what the dif was. I have what was sold as a tri-color and was wondering if it was a mislabeled Garf. Let me try and get a pic real quick.
09066ed981a41deda859b52f584c02be.jpg

75526bd08f0c78dda17a9288d88417f7.jpg

Can you tell the difference. I'm sure it is very subtle.

Last edited:

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will have to grow out a bit to be sure. Looks like a bonsai frag but hard to tell with your lighting. Garf bonsai is all purple with green polyps and there have been wild and mariculture look alikes coming in for a while. The tricolors are normally blue with green in the base. Nana people often call tricolors but most Nana are purple tips with a brownish base.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, their are a few variations but most fade to other shades of green or even to white in the branches. The tips will get yellow polyps often as well. I have a hard time saying some are tricolors since it's just blue and two shades of green on some but that's what they are labeled as.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back