Whats the hotness right now?

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
you need a white light flash light to hit the corals with and see what they look like, most of the vendors i see run 100% blue, last swap i went to the vendors were teasing me (i had set up as a hobbyest) cause i had a little bit of white on, like an 18 or 20k spectrum, they were telling me i would sell more if i ran all blue.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...sticking with SPS since this is the SPS forum. The most bullet proof approach is to go after old school stuff that is still in demand and still has a somewhat high price. These things have stood the test of time (Camaro is still in demand where the Corvair came in hot and flamed out). Not all of these are super easy, but they also are not super hard. Some of the new stuff always does end up going into the classic category, so you have to know what to watch out for, but it mostly is stuff that is beautiful without trick lighting... like Fox Flame a few years back, Pink Caddy and some others. Most of the Multicolored Tenuis are hot right now and some have probably worked their way onto the classic list like Sexy Corals Orange Passion or Tyree Superman Tenuis which have held their value as well as any that has been around that long. Homewrecker and Jareds Lucky Charms likely will get there, but they are somewhat harder to grow - I have beautiful color Homewrecker under just 14k halides in my re-build thread - this one does not need trick light. The multicolored tenuis that have fell in value like WD that need trick lights and grow really fast will just be commodity type of corals in your area if they are not already... these can be fun, but don't pay too much for them.

If a corals has a Vivid or WWC in front of it and you cannot find a colony online, then it was just a hacked up mari or wild colony. Stay away from these. Nearly anything from BattleCorals or Rocky Mountain Frags does well since they picked and choose their stuff with a more discerning eye. Reef Raft can be hit or miss, but they have a lot of nice older pieces that you can find colonies of. Jason Fox can be hit or miss too, but the older stuff that you can find lots of photos of is the real deal. If you can find any Atlantis or Westside pieces, these are old school goodness. It is hard to go wrong with most ORA stuff.

Basically, what always has been hot always will be. It takes a good eye to see what current fad stuff will always be hot, but it is a combo of not being so easy that they grow like weeds and colors in any tank.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot, there are always a large contingent of stick heads who are always into anything Millepora or Smooth Skinned pieces. Although I rarely sell and only seldom trade, something like a Palmers or Sapphire Millepora or really nice Smooth Skin can bring as much as a trendy pieces to this crowd, which is not small.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Rainbow Splice. Really a special coral. For new hot acros I’d recommend any of the BKChem corals. They’re hard to find and I’d qualify them as more expert acros, but very unusual colors. I have a BKChem Froot Loops that I’m really enjoying right now.
I love the frootloops, he had a jumanji for sale this week on his page but too much $$$

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love how everyone is commenting about reselling frags of the hottest corals when op never commented he was looking for corals so he could profit off them in his original post...
You might of missed OP posting this (bold added by me):
Myself and a lot of others enjoy buying and selling the named stuff. I know when I spend a few hundred dollars on a piece with lineage that I can make the money back because of the skill I've built up over the years. This is one of my favorite parts of the hobby at this point.

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your search. Honestly though investing in a hobby with the hope of a return is never a good strategy. Go to any thrift store and you can find beanie babies once worth thousands for a quarter. Today's hotness will be tomorrows clearance section.
I've been doing this for 20 years now. There are always going to be classics that people want. It's not just about making money but passing on nice pieces to other hobbyists. Im not sure why people are talking about me selling corals at LFS prices when I never mentioned that.

When you've done this long enough you do have a pretty good chance of growing them out and spreading them to others. Once in a while a frag won't make it but thats part of the hobby.

I never buy stuff right when it comes out either. I plan on getting a splice now that its a little more reasonable. Not sure why these threads need to be derailed though.

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might of missed OP posting this (bold added by me):
thats because someone decided to derail the thread in the first reply. I should have ignored that and not defended myself on why I like nice pieces. I started this thread for asking for advice on new corals, nothing else.

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Rainbow Splice. Really a special coral. For new hot acros I’d recommend any of the BKChem corals. They’re hard to find and I’d qualify them as more expert acros, but very unusual colors. I have a BKChem Froot Loops that I’m really enjoying right now.
Hey Mike, I picked up some nice stuff from you a month or two ago. (Taylor) I think the rainbow splice is the one that Im going for as is truly unique compared to all of these renamed rainbow tenius. Hit me up when the Fruit Loops is ready to be fragged!
Collector stuff isn't for everyone, myself included at times.

But the way ppl come out of the woodwork derailing threads like this is a bit out of pocket to me.

Having been around during a time when purple monster and 20k lokani were the controversy of the day, Im grateful for collectors. My tank is stocked with much more colorful corals than back then. I just wish they would collect deep water smoothies instead of Tenuis and Speciosa.
People can't help themselves when they disagree on how someone else decides to enjoy the hobby. I was around during that time as well. Those and the ice fire echinata are still very high on my list of old school pieces to get back!
This 1000x. Buy what you like and if possible, ask to see colony pics of the frag you’re interested in.
Thats generally what I do. Since I haven't been active in the hobby I made the thread to see what others are enjoying. Im not a fan of all these renamed rainbow tenius as most dont even look great under my lighting.
I'd stay away from anything you can't find with grown out colonies pictures under your type of lighting. I'd actually go in with your own list and see if they have what you want. This way you'll know fair pricing on the corals as well.

90% of the newer coral names over the last few years are renamed or hacked wild stuff..........in other words junk. They look like crap, washed out and the prices are ridiculous.
Yeah this is good advice. I made this thread to get an idea of what others like. I usually take this list and google colony pics before buying anything.
Hottest commodity in the hobby right now is self sustainability in your tank and a wallet full of cash to buy what you want when the unexpected pops up,
I've been growing out SPS for nearly 20 years and selling to other hobbyists at hobbyist prices. This post really has nothing to do with the thread though.

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking for less common but highly collectible, I would reccomend keeping an eye out for:

CC Pink Highlighter/MCC Prom Queen
LRO Buzz Light-year
LRO Heartthrob
True OG PM or PP or 20k/30k lokani
TSA BubbleYum
TSA Gravedigger
TSA Haymaker
TSA Starscream
Vivid Insanity
Vivid Badfish
Vivid 4 loco
MattV Pacific Wave
MattV Looney Tunes
MattV Midnight Madness
MattV Mistress
TGC/RRU Acrolandia
RRU Wicked Tuna
BC Rainbow Melon
BC Laser Melon
BC Angelica
RRC Jaw Dropper
RRC Mardi Gras/RMF Lucky Charms
RRC Supreme
JF Frankie's Neophobia
JF Sunday Driver
SBB Claw Machine
SBB Half Baked
SBB Rainbow Rare
BKChem Fruit Loops
Any BKChem Speciosa
SKA Jackpot
FHC Rock Candy
Hung's Rainbow
POTO Flamethrower
Mythical Corals Willy Wonka
Reefers Direct Paramour
ThomasCoralFragz Nemesis
Epic Catalina Wine Mixer
Joker Corals Yorha
Joker Corals Bloody Mary
Joker Corals Tempest
Peng's HOTO
A few of these have caught my eye for sure like the POTO flamethrower. If you had to pick 5 from this list what would they be? Im going to search all of these and see what looks best as colonies. Thanks

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...sticking with SPS since this is the SPS forum. The most bullet proof approach is to go after old school stuff that is still in demand and still has a somewhat high price. These things have stood the test of time (Camaro is still in demand where the Corvair came in hot and flamed out). Not all of these are super easy, but they also are not super hard. Some of the new stuff always does end up going into the classic category, so you have to know what to watch out for, but it mostly is stuff that is beautiful without trick lighting... like Fox Flame a few years back, Pink Caddy and some others. Most of the Multicolored Tenuis are hot right now and some have probably worked their way onto the classic list like Sexy Corals Orange Passion or Tyree Superman Tenuis which have held their value as well as any that has been around that long. Homewrecker and Jareds Lucky Charms likely will get there, but they are somewhat harder to grow - I have beautiful color Homewrecker under just 14k halides in my re-build thread - this one does not need trick light. The multicolored tenuis that have fell in value like WD that need trick lights and grow really fast will just be commodity type of corals in your area if they are not already... these can be fun, but don't pay too much for them.

If a corals has a Vivid or WWC in front of it and you cannot find a colony online, then it was just a hacked up mari or wild colony. Stay away from these. Nearly anything from BattleCorals or Rocky Mountain Frags does well since they picked and choose their stuff with a more discerning eye. Reef Raft can be hit or miss, but they have a lot of nice older pieces that you can find colonies of. Jason Fox can be hit or miss too, but the older stuff that you can find lots of photos of is the real deal. If you can find any Atlantis or Westside pieces, these are old school goodness. It is hard to go wrong with most ORA stuff.

Basically, what always has been hot always will be. It takes a good eye to see what current fad stuff will always be hot, but it is a combo of not being so easy that they grow like weeds and colors in any tank.
I agree 100% with this post. I have a few of the pieces you've mentioned and they are favorites for sure. Will be looking for a fox flame as mine was lost during my crash a few months ago (tank busted).

Is the Jareds Lucky Charms the same as RMF?

I miss when Atlantis was open, such cool display tanks. I need to get my hands on his blue tenius again.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love millies and smooth skin acropora. I think they have some of the more unique color variations and look amazing from any distance. I know Adam from @Battlecorals has an amazing collection of corals, so if any pop up at the show, they are worth the look.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

.....and this! I think the classic pieces get overlooked for whatever is hot at the moment, but these classic pieces have stood the test of time and are still sought after. Purple monster, Pearlberry (all the other ORA pieces), Oregon tort, etc... While everyone else is looking for the latest hot piece, I'm going after the classics. I think you're on the right track, so just follow your instincts, you'll find what you're looking for.

Last edited:

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I agree 100% with this post. I have a few of the pieces you've mentioned and they are favorites for sure. Will be looking for a fox flame as mine was lost during my crash a few months ago (tank busted).

Is the Jareds Lucky Charms the same as RMF?

I miss when Atlantis was open, such cool display tanks. I need to get my hands on his blue tenius again.
yes i'm pretty sure that Jareds lucky charms is the same as RMF. I have seen them used interchangeably on the lucky charms and other RMF corals, like red matrix

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.....and this! I think the classic pieces get overlooked for whatever is hot at the moment, but these classic pieces have stood the test of time and are still sought after. Purple monster, Pearlberry (all the other ORA pieces), Oregon tort, etc... While everyone else is looking for the latest hot piece, I'm going after the classics. I think you're on the right track, so just follow your instincts, you'll find what you're looking for.
There's room for both :)

I will always have a pearlberry, Oregon tort, pink lemonade, red planet, etc in my tanks. Im on the look out for what will be new classics. Walt Disney, Homewrecker, SCOP are almost there and I think the rainbow splice will be one of these pieces as well.

lemonade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not expect to find anything too impressive at shows these days. The last few I've been to were incredibly disappointing. Almost no variety or diversity in species. Everyone wearing orange glasses staring at actinic lit corals. Seemed like the majority of vendors were selling chopped up mariculture corals, mainly Tenuis.

If you're going to drop the money for something nice source out a frag from a hobbyist or well know vendor who has a colony. Hung's Rainbow, RRC Jaw Dropper, RRC Splice, OG Angry Birds(the one with blue tissue), JF Neophobia are a few of the nicer high-end corals I see holding value for years to come

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not expect to find anything too impressive at shows these days. The last few I've been to were incredibly disappointing. Almost no variety or diversity in species. Everyone wearing orange glasses staring at actinic lit corals. Seemed like the majority of vendors were selling chopped up mariculture corals, mainly Tenuis.

If you're going to drop the money for something nice source out a frag from a hobbyist or well know vendor who has a colony. Hung's Rainbow, RRC Jaw Dropper, RRC Splice, OG Angry Birds(the one with blue tissue), JF Neophobia are a few of the nicer high-end corals I see holding value for years to come
These Coral Farmers Markets have been decent the last few times. Definitely adding the RRU Angry Birds to the list with the splice and jaw dropper! I’ll look into the others you mentioned. Thanks

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few of these have caught my eye for sure like the POTO flamethrower. If you had to pick 5 from this list what would they be? Im going to search all of these and see what looks best as colonies. Thanks

If I could find 5 real deal 20k lokani that would be my top 5.

Seriously though, I'd say:

1. 20k or 30k Lokani
2. OG Pink Panther
3. JF Frankie's Neophobia
4.BC Angelica
5. Hung's Rainbow

You prob won't see 1 or 2 at a show so:
5. MCC Prom Queen
6.LRO Buzz Light-year

IMO, several of these will look good under non trick lighting.

I kept AB off the list bc IMO it looks very different under different lighting. Do a search on R2R, there's a huge thread where a guy picked up a frag that was called out as suspect/fake, only for the entire traceable linneage to be verified 9 pages later.

In the end, that OP was left with a frag that still didn't meet the requirements of what a real AB should look like even though he had established better linneage than 90% of the ppl that own a blue LED colored up one.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WD is garbage to me. It is brown and green unless you want to light your tank with windex all of the time. It is easy to grow. It goes for probably less than $40 a frag around here - everybody who has it wants it and it is growing with nowhere to send it.

SCOP is a great coral. So is HomeWrecker. Lots of the multicolored A. Tenuis are kinda junk under non-blue lights, but these are not two of them. These are good. There are others too, but don't just get any tenuis without seeing it under non-windex lighting first.

Why don't you hunt down @therman for sale thread and have him gather you a pack. He will have better stuff than what you will find at a show... nearly guaranteed.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lineage can get tough. Sometimes I stay clear if the chain of custody is too long or if a seller along the way is somewhat suspect - I have been fooled before with a receipt of a legit coral from a vendor that was replaced with a knockoff that was being sold. Still best to buy from folks who have a good rep that will support you if find out later that something is not real. Stuff should still look legit under all blue or non-blue lights...

This is HW under just 14k Halides with no LEDs at all. Looks legit still, right? They should walk, talk and quack like the real deal:
HW Progress

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found some of my favorite corals in the clearance tank. I have also seen poplar corals come and go. It is a ongoing process to find the center piece coral.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back