What's the longest you've gone without feeding your fish?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's the longest you've gone without feeding your fish? Mine was 2 weeks because of being out of town. Everyone was fine and healthy when I got back. My suspicion is that there's enough food in a mature tank that the fish would probably be fine for a good while if I didn't feed at all (not that I'm planning to test that theory).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I want to say overnite but then again, I have an AFS auto feeder so theyre constantly getting something to eat

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to Kauai in April to propose to my lady...I have to find someone to watch the tank for a week. I wish they could go a week but I don't want to take the risk. Plus my ATO will need to be topped off. Longest I've ever gone was two days.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of percs, pair of black clowns, couple of pseudo’s and a Klein’s butterfly and I don’t feed my tank at all. Reef has been established for over 8 years. All are healthy.
What?! Lol. When is the last time you fed? Pics?

RP709

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 days with current stock but typically they get feed daily, I think it depends on exactly what fish you have. If you have fish that actively hunt for food it makes sense to feed less but if you have lazy fish they depend on regular meals.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of percs, pair of black clowns, couple of pseudo’s and a Klein’s butterfly and I don’t feed my tank at all. Reef has been established for over 8 years. All are healthy.

maybe he feeds his fish and not the tank...lol

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I have gone longer than 3 days if I am away that long I would want someone to at least physically check on the tank at which time they could defrost a per-portioned amount of food. I'm fully confident they could go a couple of weeks without food, there is lots in the tank to eat but if someone is checking on them they might as well get food too.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 56 43.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 60 46.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back