Whats the most cost effective supplier for large tanks?

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about what I would do for a future large tank build. 300g sounds like a nice number. Lots of room to play with

A lot of hardware costs seem to decrease with bigger tanks. In a large tank, you can run a lot of gear closer to full capacity (heaters, pumps, lights even) and controllers and other bells and whistles dont get cheaper for smaller tanks...

What's got me questioning the viability of an upgrade in the somewhat distant future is the price of glass. All of the 125+ tanks I've seen online run a lot more per gallon than smaller, standard sizes.

I'd like a basic cabinet and glass (maybe rimless) tank with a 125g glass sump. I see a 125g tank for $500 from petco with a stand and lights that will immediately find a new home. Everything else I've seen is $650+ for a 125g tank. I cant believe the cheapest way to get a 125g tank to use as a sump is to buy a kit with the stand and a light.

Not looking for any holes or overflows on a DT. I like to diy.

Where should I go (other than CL) to get some very basic tanks at a price that isnt crazy?

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been thinking about what I would do for a future large tank build. 300g sounds like a nice number. Lots of room to play with

A lot of hardware costs seem to decrease with bigger tanks. In a large tank, you can run a lot of gear closer to full capacity (heaters, pumps, lights even) and controllers and other bells and whistles dont get cheaper for smaller tanks...

What's got me questioning the viability of an upgrade in the somewhat distant future is the price of glass. All of the 125+ tanks I've seen online run a lot more per gallon than smaller, standard sizes.

I'd like a basic cabinet and glass (maybe rimless) tank with a 125g glass sump. I see a 125g tank for $500 from petco with a stand and lights that will immediately find a new home. Everything else I've seen is $650+ for a 125g tank. I cant believe the cheapest way to get a 125g tank to use as a sump is to buy a kit with the stand and a light.

Not looking for any holes or overflows on a DT. I like to diy.

Where should I go (other than CL) to get some very basic tanks at a price that isnt crazy?

Not sure what your budget is, but here is where I am getting my next 300g display from. Many standard tank sizes and process listed clearly. 3rd tank being built from them, and an absolute pleasure to deal with.

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what your budget is, but here is where I am getting my next 300g display from. Many standard tank sizes and process listed clearly. 3rd tank being built from them, and an absolute pleasure to deal with.

I've been looking at them. <$10 a gallon, stand and all. Not bad, but not quite where I wish it would be.

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for GlassCages.

I did a lot of custom quotes, Reef Savoy, Miracles, Custom Aq, SCA, and a few others.

Standard and small tanks they are all competitive. But bigger than 200g, or any kind of alteration to standard size, the prices jump.

Joe @ GlassCages provides excellent customer service and the most competitive prices!

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for GlassCages.

I did a lot of custom quotes, Reef Savoy, Miracles, Custom Aq, SCA, and a few others.

Standard and small tanks they are all competitive. But bigger than 200g, or any kind of alteration to standard size, the prices jump.

Joe @ GlassCages provides excellent customer service and the most competitive prices!

Could they do 300g rimless?

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been looking at them. <$10 a gallon, stand and all. Not bad, but not quite where I wish it would be.

Their prices are VERY competitive, and their shipping is the cheapest I've seen. Yes, even the more economical choices will cost you. Remember, the quality difference between them and a "big box" builder will be night and day. Good luck with your search - let me know if you have any questions.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are building me a 300g rimless as we speak :)

not to high jack this thread but.....hell yes! I have been talking to joe for a future basement BIG FOWLR pleasure to talk to!
do you have a build thread going?

OP seems like you are handy have you thought about a DIY plywood tank? might be up your alley?

Last edited:
OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not to high jack this thread but.....hell yes! I have been talking to joe for a future basement BIG FOWLR pleasure to talk to!

OP have seems like you are handy have you thought about a DIY plywood tank? might be up your alley?

Plywood builds are cheap, but you're restricted to one viewing angle. Maybe two.

Sounds like glass cages is the way to go. $3k or so isnt unreasonable for a large tank.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It will be tough to beat GC on price. They are rock bottom.
You might want to look for used if they don't fit in your budget

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i would have to agree with,looks like everybody, @Joe Glass Cages ,is great choice ,quality work,personable :cool:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't go that far.
I only said that they would probably be the cheapest.
ok almost everybody ;) joe has taken glass cages to a new level past 10 months,proof is in the pudding:)

mrbh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
using my personal expierence i just had a tank (310 gallon) built by planet aquariums. using their MEGA matrix builder on their site i got a great tank at what i believe is a very fair price. my silicone work is flawless the glass looks great and build quality overall is top notch.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for GlassCages.

Thanks @dreamcatcherr9. just want to support as much as possible. As a company that supports this community, listening on this forum is great. We have learned and grown so much over the past 6 months. We are humbly listening on how we can serve better. The Glass Cages team has certainly raised the bar over here and it appears to be noticed. I am so proud of them. Thank you.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP have seems like you are handy have you thought about a DIY plywood tank? might be up your alley?
I so enjoy talking tanks and supporting. its all in the journey. Thanks @Devaji

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
using my personal expierence i just had a tank (310 gallon) built by planet aquariums. using their MEGA matrix builder on their site i got a great tank at what i believe is a very fair price. my silicone work is flawless the glass looks great and build quality overall is top notch.
@mrbh22, Planet is a great builder. Beautiful work. They are a great option for a custom build.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok almost everybody ;) joe has taken glass cages to a new level past 10 months,proof is in the pudding:)
Thanks @fishguy242 for noticing the changes and adjustments. I am proud of the Glass Cages Team. They have taken all the feedback, listened and adjusted. They are a humble team that wants to do the best they can. They deserve all the credit.

This is just the beginning. Put on your seatbelt.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 90 80.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%

Back