Whats the most reliable doser right now?

ChrisW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6 mp40 been running for 4 years now. Flawless. 2 of them I needed to change the westside which is like 50$.
Before that I ran mp10s equally robust.
The modularity of the vortech is awesome you Can fix problems by changing the whole thing like the westside as an example for relatively cheap.
Am I incorrect on this? That after a certain manufacturing year, replacing parts in newer MPs isnt possible? Only the older models allow for that ? Or am I waaay off on this?

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your friend is not wanting to risk a dumping event, ever... then why not look at CaRx. I know that they are a different paradigm, but one of the reasons that people like/move to them is that they are reliable and safe, don't dump and cannot crash a tank.

As you have mentioned many times, there are risks with any doser unless you add stuff manually. It is smart of you to look past the short-term reviews and fanboy stuff...well done. If doser is all that is considered, the just pick, have a backup plan and watch like a hawk.

I may be speaking incorrectly on this, but doesnt a CaRx require a continuous dosing pump to operate correctly? If it also relies on a dosing pump, how could it not cause a crash if the pump fails?

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it would be nice to have a ranking of reliable products across the board.
That would be awesome. Especially long term and grouped by location.

i.e. If Dos have issues with humidity that would be important to know. If they stopped having issues (like spent the 1$ to conformal coat the thing) in 20XX then thats good too.
but if a GHL never has an issue and its going in my stand I know which one I would pick.

I use a Jebao doser and it works ok, but I don't trust it AT ALL and having opened it up its not going anywhere near my stand. I am actually leaning towards getting a GHL one as Neptune doesn't have a smaller 4 head anyways.

Powerheads are a mess as well. I am 0/4 on Jebao, my Gyre already needs new parts and my Nero 5 eats snails lol..

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The undisputed champion doser right now is the Pacific Ocean.

I know this is not helpful but still it is true. Hope your healing, @Rakie

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The undisputed champion doser right now is the Pacific Ocean.

I know this is not helpful but still it is true. Hope your healing, @Rakie

Slow but steady on the healing! I'm too young to have hip problems, but there's worse problems to have. You know what they say -- time or surgery heal most wounds :D

As for the doser, there's a lot of good options, the problem is I've heard of each one of those options failing! I'm tempted by a GHL, or possibly one of the new eKoral dosers that have a pretty good track record so far.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I incorrect on this? That after a certain manufacturing year, replacing parts in newer MPs isnt possible? Only the older models allow for that ? Or am I waaay off on this?
You are correct withen specific matrix. They accept certain combos.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DOS gets a bad wrap because of the first few years of issues. Now, with all the built in fail-safes and fail-safes you can add, there is zero reason it should ever fail.

Really, the only issues with DOS is the price and the fact it looks like it was created by a year-one industrial design student.

Last edited:

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using DOS without any complaint. Why would it dump high amount if only dose small amt each time?

+1 I know that there are lot of Neptune haters out there, but I am all-in with their controller and accessories, and love the control that I get with my DOS (have 4 of them with 3 in use right now). I keep new heads ready to change-out, and test them as part of my weekly maintenance.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back