What's the most you paid for a frag?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My other piece was about the same size. Grew pretty fast to 3/4". Than my tank started to deteriorate. I switched all coral to 190 from RS reefer 170. The corals that were receding in the reefer just kept receding in 190. The ones that were sitting still are now growing like weeds. All measurements for were swinging in the 170.

All in all, I bust my *** for my bucks. I like nice guns and coral. So I buy.

Yep, nothing wrong with that. If you can afford it go for it. I don't think you took it the wrong way, but sometimes it's hard to tell with text-based conversations so if @nashorn sounded negative I think he was just warning you in case something bad happened really quickly. It's so hard to know how long someone has been in the hobby, whether they really know what they're talking about or not. I've come to find thankfully, in reefing, most of us like to share caution based on our own bad luck. Sometimes it doesn't come out right, very rarely is that on purpose.

I've got a buddy that drops that kind of money on reefing stuff and he's only been in the hobby 6-7 months now. One day after dropping close to $2k on high end SPS he asked me if he needs to dose Alkalinity, and what Alkalinity was!

You follow football at all? I honestly don't, but I absolutely love Vince Lombardi. One of the most winningest NFL coaches of all time. What made him separate from the other coaches was his mindset. He never assumed anybody knew anything about football. He never assumed season vets just knew all the basics. His famous line the first day of every year, was simple. He'd pickup a football, and say "This, Is a football". That's where he started with everybody he coached. Every year.

I just love that mindset, it's simplistic and brilliant at the same time.

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, nothing wrong with that. If you can afford it go for it. I don't think you took it the wrong way, but sometimes it's hard to tell with text-based conversations so if @nashorn sounded negative I think he was just warning you in case something bad happened really quickly. It's so hard to know how long someone has been in the hobby, whether they really know what they're talking about or not. I've come to find thankfully, in reefing, most of us like to share caution based on our own bad luck. Sometimes it doesn't come out right, very rarely is that on purpose.

I've got a buddy that drops that kind of money on reefing stuff and he's only been in the hobby 6-7 months now. One day after dropping close to $2k on high end SPS he asked me if he needs to dose Alkalinity, and what Alkalinity was!

You follow football at all? I honestly don't, but I absolutely love Vince Lombardi. One of the most winningest NFL coaches of all time. What made him separate from the other coaches was his mindset. He never assumed anybody knew anything about football. He never assumed season vets just knew all the basics. His famous line the first day of every year, was simple. He'd pickup a football, and say "This, Is a football". That's where he started with everybody he coached. Every year.

I just love that mindset, it's simplistic and brilliant at the same time.

Nashorn is all good. He has faith I will grow a monster frag for him.

back before I got out the first time back in 07-09 I bought one of those first pieces of red dragon for 300. It grew like a weed and I was selling as fast at it grew.

I don't watch or follow any sports or anyone. I am just simply a tile setter working my way to the one percent.

I figure I payed 1350 for my last piece, this one was 400. So I got like a 1000 discount to try again. I might grow 10 colonies and make thousands of it. I might just grow it. Either way I'm not to worried about it. Once I stop typing this morning, I will get to and focus on the grind not on corals. If I spent on whatever I spent it on than I consider it gone. Than if I make some back off the piece cool.

If your scrounging to get funds to by coral or equipment? You should stop the hobby and focus on your career, up your game and come back when your ready to spend. That's what I did, and it's great. I hated before tripping out at work over a fish tank over the money I'd lose. Now it's more about the lives I'm keeping.

Just how I'm rolling. And I'm happy!!

Happy Friday, and good weekend to all.

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually reefing taught me one of my most valuable lessons in business. If you have the product? There is always someone willing to pay. A lot of my clients tell me I was 3 times all the other bids. I am always busy. Than again I do give all my heart when I'm working. That's gotta be worth something in today's world.

Some people drive hondas some people drive Ferrari.

OP
OP
nashorn

nashorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm not to far from you so yea grow it!grow it! I been wanting to see one in person.
I'll going look for it at the upcoming farmer market.

I'm in that group that the honda owners thumb their noses at.....lol

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$125 for a two headed gold torch, most vendors at MACNA wanted $125 per head. I was worried about driving it 4 hours back to Pensacola in a soft sided cooler and it acted like it was going to die for about two weeks, but it eventually pulled through and is doing very well now.

The thing I'm most dissapointed about now is not owning a coral saw so I can recap my cost when it grows more heads haha

20170828_093128-png.572520
Same here 125 for a torch with a 2ndbudding head but mine didn’t make it
:(
Cold shipping arrived at 64 degrees

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I got my money back but I still wish I had that coral. It’s the one in my profile pic. Not an easy find for me
I definitely know what you mean, anytime a LFs in my area gets any sort of high end euphyllia (which isn't often at all) it is priced ridiculously high and often not in good shape. My torch came from MACNA but I've also figured out you can get a good deal online most of the time if wait for sales and such. I'm on the lookout for a true rainbow torch like the one in your profile pic still but I'd like to buy it in person. I also need more room in my tank or a bigger tank before I get one :rolleyes:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.6%
Back