What's the one fish you regretted buying the most?

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fish but I regret getting a Coral banded shrimp. he was a little aggressive the first couple days towards my firefish but the firefish finally found a hiding place on the opposite side of the tank, since then everything was perfect until 2 nights ago that i noticed my royal gramma had been attacked(his tail fin was cut in a weird angle) then i noticed him slowing down for a couple hours, i came back from work to find him lying down in a corner with all his fins torn to pieces and he was barely able to move, I was looking from a couple feet away and saw the shrimp go after him, i came over and scooped the shrimp and put him in a different container and took him back to my LFS. came back and my Gramma only made it a couple hours after that and then he passed (R.I.P) he was my favorite fish so it was a bummer and thats the reason i regret getting that shrimp instead of a Cleaner shrimp or a Fire shrimp
Poor guy! I have a coral banded shrimp that does really well in my tank and I have two other shrimp in with him. I guess it’s with any semi aggressive fish it’s hit or miss. Sorry that you lost your little fish buddy!

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fish but I regret getting a Coral banded shrimp. he was a little aggressive the first couple days towards my firefish but the firefish finally found a hiding place on the opposite side of the tank, since then everything was perfect until 2 nights ago that i noticed my royal gramma had been attacked(his tail fin was cut in a weird angle) then i noticed him slowing down for a couple hours, i came back from work to find him lying down in a corner with all his fins torn to pieces and he was barely able to move, I was looking from a couple feet away and saw the shrimp go after him, i came over and scooped the shrimp and put him in a different container and took him back to my LFS. came back and my Gramma only made it a couple hours after that and then he passed (R.I.P) he was my favorite fish so it was a bummer and thats the reason i regret getting that shrimp instead of a Cleaner shrimp or a Fire shrimp

I had a similar experience with a coral banded shrimp. He always chased my fish around but was never able to catch them. So I didn't think anything of it, until I came home from work one day and he had killed my starry blenny and had eaten his whole middle section.

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupidly, I put a Lemonpeel Angle into my reef. I thought they were reef safe with caution. They are not.

The fish has killed so many acro colonies. Anything that shows polyp extension is pecked until there is nothing left except white coral skeleton, even green Birds-nest.

I have tried to remove the fish but it is too smart. All my other many fish eat from my hand. It know I hate it and makes sarcastic faces at me. I have dreamed about using a harpoon to hunt it down.. :(

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Horned blenny. Super cute fish. I tried to add him to a tank along with a starry blenny with predictable results.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't buy them, they were given to me with the tank (it was a rescue) but these CLOWNS are HORRIBLE

palbert_95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor guy! I have a coral banded shrimp that does really well in my tank and I have two other shrimp in with him. I guess it’s with any semi aggressive fish it’s hit or miss. Sorry that you lost your little fish buddy!
ive heard is pretty 50-50 sadly i ran into the bad 50 lol glad to hear your experience is different!

palbert_95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar experience with a coral banded shrimp. He always chased my fish around but was never able to catch them. So I didn't think anything of it, until I came home from work one day and he had killed my starry blenny and had eaten his whole middle section.
my gramma would hide in the rockwork from him and swim to the other side of the tank but i guess overnight while the gramma was sleeping the CBS went and stuck his claw in the cave and ended up reaching him. i guess is just bad luck and nature

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This whole discussion just proves that fish like people have their own personalities. A lot of the fish that are in the discussion are supposed to be reef safe or very docile fish but you can’t judge a book by its cover. Got a pseudochromis fridmani that was very calm until he became an adult. Now he is the bully of the tank.
I agree mate

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral banded shrimp is a night mare and I’m kinda starting to wish he had died in my previous tank disaster.

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroon clown fish- mean fish who loved my green bta to its death and bit me every time I tried to work on my tank. scoping cleaning etc. I have them still in a small 5 gal I need to get rid of them if anyone is in LA area for a trade or a sale.

Reeffragger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish i regret the most are the solid blue damsels... Those two i got when i first started 2 years ago.. they are BULLIES to any nee fish i get.. they attack my hands and arms when i reach in. Theyre pretty... But complete jerks..

Friend said to flush em.. but my friend has no heart.. I just keep em with my velvet damsel in my 20g tank. Velvet damsel was the only good damsel i had until he started eating zoanthids whole heads at a time...

SaltyDog67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Insert Any Damsel (Spawn of Satan) Species Name Here:
Blue Velvet Damsel - beautiful as a juvenile but butt ugly as an adult! Had one long ago that stressed and killed Humu Picasso 3 times his size. Pretty upsetting at the time when a $5 damsel took out my prized Trigger I hand fed and could actually pet.
Yellow Tail Damsel - After getting back in the hobby less than a year ago I figured Id try a less aggressive and more mild damsel for the 32 biocube reef. Nope! That little serial killer took out my Orchid Dottyback, Six Line Wrasse, and stressed my Lightning Maroon Clown to the point of not eating and death. Took him back to the LFS and traded him in for another Six Line Wrasse hoping this one would be a little more boisterous, and boy was he ever!
Six Line Wrasse - Yep, the new Six Line was larger than the last one and apparently another escaped inmate from Hell! He took out a Royal Gramma, a Snowflake Clown, constantly harassed my Yellow Watchman Goby, and immediately starting harassing my new Phantom Snowflake Clown. Had to dissemble the entire tank to get his murderous butt out, but the new Clown, Purple Firefish, and Watchman Goby all live peacefully on the reef now and forever grateful the demons are gone.

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me was a purple dotty back that one LFS sold me as a peaceful Royal Gramma... what a serial killer, in 2 days it killed 2 firefish and my diamond orange goby... I tried to catch itwith no success for a couple of days until I saw it starting to harrass my pair of clowns, it did not know who it was messing with, next day my female clown was doing victory laps with the dotty back carcass in her mouth, I was so happy!!!

The guppy guru

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Insert Any Damsel (Spawn of Satan) Species Name Here:
Blue Velvet Damsel - beautiful as a juvenile but butt ugly as an adult! Had one long ago that stressed and killed Humu Picasso 3 times his size. Pretty upsetting at the time when a $5 damsel took out my prized Trigger I hand fed and could actually pet.
Yellow Tail Damsel - After getting back in the hobby less than a year ago I figured Id try a less aggressive and more mild damsel for the 32 biocube reef. Nope! That little serial killer took out my Orchid Dottyback, Six Line Wrasse, and stressed my Lightning Maroon Clown to the point of not eating and death. Took him back to the LFS and traded him in for another Six Line Wrasse hoping this one would be a little more boisterous, and boy was he ever!
Six Line Wrasse - Yep, the new Six Line was larger than the last one and apparently another escaped inmate from Hell! He took out a Royal Gramma, a Snowflake Clown, constantly harassed my Yellow Watchman Goby, and immediately starting harassing my new Phantom Snowflake Clown. Had to dissemble the entire tank to get his murderous butt out, but the new Clown, Purple Firefish, and Watchman Goby all live peacefully on the reef now and forever grateful the demons are gone.
Not all damsels are bad the rolands damsel is que it peaceful and not very aggressive. Remember as well clownfish and reef chromisus.

Finding Nemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After being out of the hobby for almost 20 years, I started up a new tank last year. The one I most regret is a Leopard Wrasse. Although everyone gets along OK now- at first he would terrorize our firefish lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back