Whats the problem with reeflink?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Jason Collins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know alot of people have problems with reeflink. Now I am also. Randomly i looked up at it and instead of being blue its half green, 1/4 red and 1/4 yellow. It is and always has been hard wired. I unplugged probably close to 10 times to reboot it. I went to echotech live... it says im offline. I hit refresh reeflink... nothing really happens. Whats the problem with this thing? I dont have lights to it only 2 MP40s

Titleist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not really a secret. Reeflink is garbage. I made the same mistake as well, not reading and taking seriously the myriad of complaints against this useless 100 dollar paperweight. Mine is 8 feet from my radions in line of sight and 11 feet from my orbi. On the rare occasion I CAN actually connect both the connection to the lights is "excellent" and the wifi signal at this distance isn't worth someone trying to argue about.

What I've come to believe is that this is just garbage servers failing to establish and keep alive connections. I have to unplug the unit and plug it back in to get a blue circle, then I STILL don't have a connection until ecotech servers decide they have room for me and put the connection through.

What I've gotten from ecotech is a "first contact" service reply, then you get blown off.

This is what you get when a company dupes enough people into buying their overpriced garbage that they have enough working capital to put on a great media show that keeps new people buying into their hype. I have 4 xr30 gen 4s. Over 3k given away to a company that couldn't care less about their products working correctly or not, at least the reeflink anyway. At this point my lights work as expected, although I can't make adjustments for new corals etc. unless I screw with it, wait an undetermined amount of time and constantly keep checking to see if they'll let me connect to my 3 thousand dollar'sworth of lights I bought from them.

Now it's another 125 bucks to spend on a second solution that may or may not work any better.

I guess it pays to keep in mind these are littleguy companies mostly run by enthusiasts turned manufacturer. In this niche they don't have to worry about damaging their reputation so much because it obviously doesn't harm their sales enough to be of concern. These companies could dry up tomorrow if the wind blows wrong in the economy.

Our lesson to learn next time around. But they've already got our money don't they? They don't really expect repeat business I guess.

DTE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This just made me reconsider buying a reeflink.

Fiesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Constant troubles with mine. Takes many tries to get simple changes uploaded and very glitchy ALL the time.

Titleist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only speak for the wireless capability which is probably what most folks intend to use it for. There has not been a single day where I can wake up and log into etl and have the lights ONLINE. At no time have they ever not been in offline mode, requiring me to go unplug the device and plug it back in. It then takes an indeterminate amount of time before the lights can actually be loaded and programmed. If you intend to use it wirelessly be very aware you're likely to have the same issues, and at least for me having a couple extra simple switches to control certain aspects of the lighting is nowhere near worth having a device that basically doesn't work unless I play with it and wait.

Next and last step is the apex module, which I haven't heard so many complaints about in this regard although you do lose those simple switches and one click features. These things can all be done in fusion anyway and if you like to control your equipment then writing the exact parameters you desire is just extra bonus.

There's nothing magical about etl control, just different ways to do the same thing. Now if the Apex device disconnects all the time or fails to connect then it's game over. We'll see where the problem lies with the apex. If it still has issues I'd lean towards the light's RF section or it's management as the problem. No way to know until a third party device is thrown into the mix.

Get a reeflink at your own peril. Just my 2 cents.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is 20 usd of technology wrapped in marketing. I just tossed my reeflink brink. The first version of the L1 Vectra is even worse.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back