Whats the strangest tank occupant you can think of?

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, whats some of the stranger or less kept fish/inverts you can think of? I love the weirder creatures, common and rare, so from (silly) conches to cuttlefish and epaulettes sharks what can we list?

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decorator, Mantis Shrimp, Frogfish, cow fish.

Probably not the rarest, and you do see people keep them from time to time, but they aren’t very common, and definitely kinda weird haha

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, whats some of the stranger or less kept fish/inverts you can think of? I love the weirder creatures, common and rare, so from (silly) conches to cuttlefish and epaulettes sharks what can we list?
If we're talking ANY tank inhabitants than it would be sea spiders, UNFORTUNATELY these hell spiders are coral eating and near impossible to get rid of.

If we're talking beneficial stuff than I have a few spaghetti worms, thousands of mysis shrimp and a chiton somewhere

And lastly if we're talking things I added intentionally than it would be my moseleya, such a gem of a coral and I'm glad I could find one.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought of another one.
This time an actual rarity.

Is called “Ecolania endophytophaga”.
Basically a Valonia eating Nidibranch.

1706393461117.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Walking batfish are pretty strange; marine bettas; squirrelfish; predatory snails; cushion starfish and sun/sunflower starfish; large vermetid snails; lion's mane nudibranchs; emperor shrimp with their sea cucumber medusa worms; cowries; etc.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you kept those!??!!
No, but they'd be pretty cool.

The question was just some strange and less kept ones, though, thankfully not ones I've specifically kept, haha; that said, people do keep these (and elephant slugs/other fleshy limpets, which I neglected to list above), they're just uncommon.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but they'd be pretty cool.

The question was just some strange and less kept ones, though, thankfully not ones I've specifically kept, haha; that said, people do keep these (and elephant slugs/other fleshy limpets, which I neglected to list above), they're just uncommon.
Out of curiosity, what do you keep/have kept?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about weird but beautiful? Like this robin
IMG_4113.jpeg

There are some things I have seen in the hobby that should not be sold that are very weird such as pinecone fish and feather starfish. Then of course there are the weirdest but coolest things on the planet the cephalopods!

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4113.jpeg

There are some things I have seen in the hobby that should not be sold that are very weird such as pinecone fish and feather starfish. Then of course there are the weirdest but coolest things on the planet the cephalopods!
Pinecone fish can be kept if you know what you're doing, sadly that isn't usually the case

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pinecone fish can be kept if you know what you're doing, sadly that isn't usually the case
I know professionals who struggle with them. Complete pita apparently when it comes to feeding so I stand by my statement.

OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a hoard of ~1,000 scholarly books and articles at the moment - my landlords don't allow pets of any kind.
I was sure you owned an aquarium or something!! The amount of knowledge and help you bring to R2R is mad :O ! Thanks for all the help you, give by the way!

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a hoard of ~1,000 scholarly books and articles at the moment - my landlords don't allow pets of any kind.
That’s simple to maliciously comply - bring only toxic things or that irritate your skin when you touch them.

If landlord says something about it, let him try to pet them and prove him wrong :upside-down-face:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who says they'll have to know :)
Haha, yeah, it'd be hard to hide me getting/setting one up with the living arrangement.
I was sure you owned an aquarium or something!! The amount of knowledge and help you bring to R2R is mad :O ! Thanks for all the help you, give by the way!
Haha, nope - you can't see it if you're using a phone, but my signature on computer reads "No tank yet - Future reefer, hopefully future breeder." I'm happy to help when I can though!

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, yeah, it'd be hard to hide me getting/setting one up with the living arrangement.

Haha, nope - you can't see it if you're using a phone, but my signature on computer reads "No tank yet - Future reefer, hopefully future breeder." I'm happy to help when I can though!
Good luck! You're more than prepared, you know more about a reef tank than most experts nowadays!

OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good luck! Hope a tanks in your future soon!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4113.jpeg

I've always wanted a sea robin, but didn't want to put up with the hassle of setting up a species tank with a chiller.

My weirdest inhabitant was certainly my fire urchin, which passed away this summer. It used to quiver with excitement whenever I put some shrimp in the tank, and would scurry over to devour it when I offered it a morsel (with tongs). If you've seen an urchin sprint towards food, you've seen everything.

I decided not to replace my dearly-departed specimen when it died given its unfortunate tendency toward surprise envenomations.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back