What's the strongest /best sealent for a aquarium

stevediaz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the strongest /best sealent for a aquarium I'm building I'm afraid of it coming apart or just exploding on me I recently seen these on 915mang youtube site and got me very scared with my build what is the strongest sealant I can use to keep my build/tank together and safe for my kids to enjoy my desired future tank dimensions are as follow 5 feet long 2 feet deep 2 feet high He will also do a euro brace around the top 3 inch or more Glass thickness will be either 1/2 inch or 3/4 what's better witch should I choose?????? I have a glass wholesale guy who gave me a very low quote and I just want to know how to keep this safe and sure please advise maybe I could buy a better sealant or ask him to do a injection sealant ??? I don't know what's the strongest bond for that I'll probably buy a better brand of sealant for him but I have no clue what to look for or what method should this wholesale guy bond the glass together please help guys I need advice

Wrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you fill your 5x2x2' tank up until an inch from the top you are looking at roughly 140 gallons of water and 1,200lbs plus the glass. At this size 3/8" or 1/2" glass would work but not something I'd personally opt for. I would personally feel confident aiming for 5/8" (at least for the front/back) if the plan was to go without any sort of bracing. I don't like bracing. Silicone is tried and true with over 300psi of tensile strength that will cover what you are building several times over. Don't bother messing with anything else if you're working with a glass tank. Keep in mind a glass tank like this is heavy and will be over 300lbs alone.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to pile on... :)

The key is the height, not so much the overall dimensions. But I still agree with @Wrasse. (Especially about the silicone part.)

Commercial 24" tall tanks use 1/2" glass, but they have custom made top and bottom trims for extra stability that you won't have access to.

You either have to duplicate that function in glass (or otherwise) or compensate with thicker glass. 5/8" would be the logical next step up. :)

OP
OP
stevediaz1

stevediaz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i was told by the the guy who is building it he would use either 1/2 inch or 3/4 my choice i think im gonna use 3/4 what do you guys think also is this to tall 2 feet?
he also said he would feel for safe to use 3/4 my question still stands he will silicone it together but is there a stronger silicone i can buy thats better quality? In addition to silicone he would also place a euro brace now that im thinking about it when you guys say silicone it together is there a diffrent method or what???

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most builders use Momentive RTV108 - Clear; Momentive RTV103 - Black; or GE SCS1200

Wrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If cost and weight is not an issue there's absolutely no reason not to go with the 3/4" glass. You will enjoy the increased safety factor, less flex and be able to go with or without a top brace. You also will still be compatible with the popular magnetic pumps like EcoTech VorTech MP40 and Maxpect Gyre XF250 should you ever choose to use these.

The 24x24 is a great depth and height for a reef tank. Before you commit to it take a moment to consider what you are going to do for your lighting. I find 5' tanks kind of an odd duck where there's a lot of lighting fixtures suitable for 2, 4 and 6'.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Momentive rtv 100 series.

OP
OP
stevediaz1

stevediaz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there any thing stronger than that rev 100 series?

i mean i want to be safe ill be going with 3/4 inch glass
and ill be using a strong silicone like that rev 100 series silicone
along with a euro brace about 3 inches thick

Wrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there any thing stronger than that rev 100 series?

i mean i want to be safe ill be going with 3/4 inch glass
and ill be using a strong silicone like that rev 100 series silicone
along with a euro brace about 3 inches thick

Now you're just getting silly. The GE SCS1200 mentioned by @Ryben has a tensile strength of 430lb/in versus the Momentive RTV100 series at only 400lb/in. That's 7.50% additional which on your scale is a fair bit especially considering the surface area we're talking about. I think this is moot however given it's overbuilt and not your main weakness. Much like a chain you are only as strong as your weakest link.

Using 3/4" as you're planning will give you 191.25 linear inches of glass to be connected with a surface area of 143.44in². At 430psi you have 61,679lbs of holding force! Your prospective aquarium is roughly 126 gallons once you subtract the glass thickness which means your water is roughly 1,284lbs at 1.026sg. At this size and thickness the euro brace is going to do more for your mind than it will your tank.

Your likely failure point is not the silicone. It's probably the impact resistance of the glass. If you want to sleep better at night consider a liner of polycarbonate for the bottom and a nice foam pad for the tank to rest on to prevent any unnecessary forces.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 149 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back