What's the trick

smalltown reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an older glass 110 gallon tank. Over the years of coraline growing, scraping, repeat; I now seem to not be able to completely scrape off all the coralone. Once scraped, it comes off; but seems to leave a residue. You can see thru it, but can definitely see where it was and makes the glass cloudy. I have tried scotchbrite pads, razors, but do not want to damage the glass. Is there a reefsafe chemical or does anyone have any tricks or tips. Hoping pics show what I have.
20180917_190027.jpeg
20180917_190147.jpeg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's in the tank, you're pretty much limited to mechanical removal. What are you using for scraping it? You can always "go nuclear" with a straight-edged razor blade, a la The Widget. (You're from the 1980's too, right? I think it was subject of one of the early infomercials.)

Imageresizer.ashx

https://www.stanleytools.com/search-results?searchText=scraper

There are several examples you might want to consider....you can use a blade without a holder too if it seems to make more sense.

However, you can gouge glass with a sharp blade though, so don't be in a hurry when you're doing it....have lots of time and patience available.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back