What's this on my blastos

Bdoncford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20210402_184106.jpg

I noticed this reddish pink thing growing on my blastos. It kind of looks like a zoa but with longer tentacles. It clearly doesn't like my blastos. Anyone know how to get rid of it? Hopefully not aptasia Thanks.

Last edited:

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% aiptasia anemone. They can be really difficult to get rid of and can spread like wildfire and kill other corals. Read up on eradicating them. The best luck I’ve had besides removing and/or scrubbing them off the rock, is to smother them with superglue. The are pretty bullet-proof, so even those methods aren’t guaranteed. There are some fish and inverts that supposedly eat them, but generally only really small ones, and it’s not a for sure thing plus they sometimes get an appetite for corals. There are a lot of schools of thought on the best way to get rid of them, but most people usually have at least a couple in their tanks, and one or two isn’t going to do much damage to your blastos, but its their potential to spread that is worrisome, so even if its not visibly upsetting your blastos, I would still try to get rid of it.

OP
OP
B

Bdoncford

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% aiptasia anemone. They can be really difficult to get rid of and can spread like wildfire and kill other corals. Read up on eradicating them. The best luck I’ve had besides removing and/or scrubbing them off the rock, is to smother them with superglue. The are pretty bullet-proof, so even those methods aren’t guaranteed. There are some fish and inverts that supposedly eat them, but generally only really small ones, and it’s not a for sure thing plus they sometimes get an appetite for corals. There are a lot of schools of thought on the best way to get rid of them, but most people usually have at least a couple in their tanks, and one or two isn’t going to do much damage to your blastos, but its their potential to spread that is worrisome, so even if its not visibly upsetting your blastos, I would still try to get rid of it.
That's what I feared. Good thing I have access to a coral bandsaw. I'm going to cut it off the frag tomorrow. I fully inspected the rest of the tank and haven't found any others so hopefully it's the only one. Have you heard good things about f-aptasia. I ordered some of that as well just incase there's others I can't see

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back