What's this on my tang ???

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matter of the tank and its inhabitants. It helps build immunity to some.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The summary of that article pretty much sums it up:
To recap, garlic's use as an appetite stimulant is questionable at best. It seemed to have a positive effect when injected into fish that were infected with a bacterium. It can kill the freshwater Ich parasite Ichthyophthirius multifiliis when dosed in rather high concentrations in the water. And, it might be an effective dewormer in freshwater fish. But, none of that means it will do anything against Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans when added to the food of infected fish.

So, now that we know what has been studied regarding garlic, it should be readily apparent that there is still much that we don't know about garlic's use as a treatment, particularly against Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans. I hope to shed some light on this in the coming months with a controlled study testing the effectiveness of garlic extract on fish exposed to Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans. Hopefully, I will be able to determine whether garlic has any effect against this parasite, independent of natural acquired immunity. Until such time as that is proven, use a garlic treatment at your (and your fishes') own risk.

BlacknBlue2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not for you all, but I had a case of Ick on my clowns, Chevron Tang, Dwarf Flame Angel, I didn't have a QT and I used garlic like crazy and it went away. I guess it depends on each persons choice.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO garlic is of temporary benefit to fish only for the fact that it can encourage fish to eat that do not already eat. More calories in will definitely aid a fish's immune system. However, any other appetite inducing additives will have the same net effect. Garlic itself does nothing in the way of medication.

I add it to my fish food when I have new additions, particularly those that are difficult or expert level designated or are otherwise finicky or tricky eaters.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe not for you all, but I had a case of Ick on my clowns, Chevron Tang, Dwarf Flame Angel, I didn't have a QT and I used garlic like crazy and it went away. I guess it depends on each persons choice.
Garlic was simply a coincidence or increased their caloric intake by inducing heavy feeding. If gasoline made fish hungry, it would have the same result (obviously a dramatic analogy for humor because it would destroy your water but you get the idea).

Your fish fought off ich by building a resistance. Unfortunately though while this may work with some fish, your tank will always carry it unless you run it fallow. New fish can and some will succomb to it, even while your existing fish do not and may not even show outward symptoms. The problem is that:

1) you're only one stress event away from disaster at any time. Heater failure, power outage, new fish, crazy parameter swings, tank move, Rock aquascaping change, etc. increased stress can and often does compromise your stock's resistance.

2) new additions will all be tasked with fighting it off just the same. Many species will not be able to do this. Most acanthurus tangs for example for a myriad of reasons.

I would also add that too much garlic will likely have the effect of further fouling the water.

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use garlic sometimes, mainly as an appetite stimulant for new or sick fish. However, I use it sparingly because excess garlic has been proven to cause liver damage in fish.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back