What's up Reefers?! Hello from Central Coast California - Salinas Valley & Monterey Peninsula

OP
OP
shrimpnreefdude

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm another new guy who has freshwater shrimp, though mine are Neos.
IMG_6038.jpeg
That setup looks fantastic! I have a tank of neos too. Well, it's my wife's shrimp, but they're such great shrimp. We have a caridina in there with them, that's doing great too btw. Not recommended, but they can live in those parameters. They just won't breed.

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That setup looks fantastic! I have a tank of neos too. Well, it's my wife's shrimp, but they're such great shrimp. We have a caridina in there with them, that's doing great too btw. Not recommended, but they can live in those parameters. They just won't breed.
Nice! My tap water is super hard; great for neos but I wouldn't even think of trying caridina in it.

OP
OP
shrimpnreefdude

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! My tap water is super hard; great for neos but I wouldn't even think of trying caridina in it.
Yeah, ours is really bad too. I have a dedicated reservoir for the caridina that stays in the same room as them. For WC or emergency. Can't have enough of it at this point, now with the reef tanks!

OP
OP
shrimpnreefdude

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sneak peak into the current tank I'm setting up! IM 50gal Lagoon. I cannot make up my mind on the rock work. I was gifted a decent amount of Salty Bottom Reef rocks and a bunch of coralline colored CaribSea rock. This is maybe 1/8 of the rock I have to work with btw!

I'm thinking of a taller back/mid section (for future SPS locations) that sweeps down toward the front with some patches of rock there for mushroom or stuff I want to isolate to small island locks.

Do you folks ever put rocks onto something to protect the glass below from shifting or moving rocks around? I was thinking of cutting out some of those expanded PVC sheets that are used for signs to glue to the bottom of the foundation rocks. They would lay flat on the glass surface even if the rock is uneven. Has anyone tried that before?
VideoCapture_20231207-145936.jpg

OP
OP
shrimpnreefdude

shrimpnreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Andy and Welcome to R2R! Tank looks great and so relaxing when you enjoy it from your chair!
Hey Buckster! Thanks. It's been a fun here in the short time I've been here. And LOTS of information! Currently feeling under the weather and this is my view right now laying in bed...Definitely relaxing!
20231226_104751.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back