Hello from Indiana!

Osprey223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy! I'm in my mid twenties and live in south central Indiana.

I started my first saltwater tank back in January of 2022. My current set up is a basic 10 gallon with a YWG and pistol shrimp pair. Then I have a 29 gallon that I have plumbed to a 6 gallon refugium/coral tank that gravity feeds back into the 29 gallon DT. I am preparing for an upgrade in the coming weeks. I will be replacing the 29 with a 40B as well as swapping the 6 gallon for a 10 galloon. I'll be making a build thread for that when I get started!

I recently started to expand my coral selection in the past couple months and that has been a delight. I have had some fish loss recently and am looking for new stocking options for the 40B. Currently I have a clown and a hector's goby that will be going in there as well as a Panamic barnacle blenny which will be put in the 10 gallon that will be plumbed in with the 40B.

Have any stocking suggestions for that 40B? Let me know! I'm excited to finally post here and get involved in the community.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

What fish did you lose recently? You'll want to try and ensure those were isolated cases, and not a result of some active disease issue.

Jay

Ocean_Queenie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello & Welcome
IMG_8890.jpeg

OP
OP
O

Osprey223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

What fish did you lose recently? You'll want to try and ensure those were isolated cases, and not a result of some active disease issue.

Jay
Thanks for the advice Jay!

I had recently upgraded the return pump and pump and switched from a hose to PVC. Because of this I had to remove the lids for both tanks. After a day or two I realized that the water was evaporating much faster than before so I'm now back on track keeping salinity stable adding RODI daily. Before I noticed the difference in evaporation I lost a purple firefish which I believe was a victim of stress from the fast jump in salinity in that period. (I keep salinity at about 1.025 and it had jumped to 1.032) I lost a yellow tail blue damsel a few weeks prior to this and I think that one actually died of old age as it was quite large in size when I purchased it back in 2022. I lost my other damsel just last week and honestly that one threw me for a loop as I hadn't noticed anything odd prior to death and had taken the salinity issue off the table. I believe the day before I cleaned my filter and added new carbon. I had read here that some of the carbon dust could have caused that death, is that accurate?

So far no signs of disease/parasites on the hector or clown still in that system.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice Jay!

I had recently upgraded the return pump and pump and switched from a hose to PVC. Because of this I had to remove the lids for both tanks. After a day or two I realized that the water was evaporating much faster than before so I'm now back on track keeping salinity stable adding RODI daily. Before I noticed the difference in evaporation I lost a purple firefish which I believe was a victim of stress from the fast jump in salinity in that period. (I keep salinity at about 1.025 and it had jumped to 1.032) I lost a yellow tail blue damsel a few weeks prior to this and I think that one actually died of old age as it was quite large in size when I purchased it back in 2022. I lost my other damsel just last week and honestly that one threw me for a loop as I hadn't noticed anything odd prior to death and had taken the salinity issue off the table. I believe the day before I cleaned my filter and added new carbon. I had read here that some of the carbon dust could have caused that death, is that accurate?

So far no signs of disease/parasites on the hector or clown still in that system.

Hi there from another hoosier! I'm on the west edge where the state line goes from straight to bumpy ;)
Welcome to the community, I am also in Indiana, about 40 minutes south of Indy. If you ever need anything or want to check out the tank let me know.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back