What's up with my fish

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If not possible I have my 10G ATO, a heater and a powerhead, no extra light.
The only way is to treat them with formulin in a QT set up and fallow your DT. There are some in tank treatments that may buy you a little time but not cure the disease. I went through this same situation early on with my tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People use Ruby Reef Rally Pro in the tank, often combined with freshwater dips, but they do so more out of desperation than how well it works. Formalin in a treatment tank is the best way to go, and even then, when the fish get to this point, it is very difficult to treat - sorry!

Jay

OP
OP
dstockwell

dstockwell

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1696554770239.jpeg

This ok

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes - that is formalin. It is VERY toxic, so follow the safety label carefully.

Here is an excerpt from my fish disease book about dosing:

Formalin dips at 150-167 ppm for 45 minutes with good aeration. The effectiveness of dips is vastly improved if the fish is then moved to a non-infected aquarium. Reducing the specific gravity of the treatment tank may assist the fish in balancing the electrolytes lost due to skin and gill damage. A target specific gravity of 1.018 should be maintained during treatment.

To calculate the dose for a dip, in one gallon of saltwater, you would add 0.6 ml of formalin. Aerate it for a few minutes, then add the fish (while still aerating it). 45 minutes later, return the fish to the tank and dispose of the dip water.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about HumbleFish in tank method

1) In-tank treatment: * 0.9 - 1 ml per 10 gallons daily in a bare aquarium for 7-10 days. This produces a concentration of ~ 25 ppm.

Yes - that is another option. However, I've had issues with 25 ppm just not being strong enough to control infections - possibly because some of the Brooklynella is protected from exposure by all the mucus produced by the fish.

There is a tricky, but even better treatment that I use: dose the whole tank at 75 ppm for 45 minutes, then changed 2/3 of the water. That leaves a residual of 25 ppm. Anyone doing that needs to be confident of their skills to be able to do this properly. For example, you need to start draining the tank *before* the 45 minutes are up, so you can begin adding clean water quickly, right at the 45 minute mark.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how did I even get Brook. I haven't added anything in 4 months, tank is more than a year old? And the last fish I added is from a highly regarded not so local store.
Tough to say - Brook is most often seen in newly acquired wild clownfish, sometimes royal gramma.
Without a microscope, our diagnosis is provisional, but I just don’t see this not being a protozoan disease.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So could it be velvet, and do I still need formalin?

So could it be velvet, and do I still need formalin?

I doubt it is velvet - this case has been going on for four days or so? Velvet would have killed off the fish by now. I think in light of that, the diagnosis leans more towards Brooklynella. That said, each hour the treatment is delayed, the worse the condition is going to become. If you cannot get formalin today, can you get Ruby Reef Rally Pro?

What fish have died, and what ones are left?

Jay

OP
OP
dstockwell

dstockwell

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 left Ebili Angel, Briseltooth Tang, Two spot hog, Royal Gramma, Percula Clown. Lost small clown, and 2 chromis. I did loose a wrasse unrelated because he had no spots of any kind. I ordered Ruby Reef Rally Pro, will get it hopefully in time. For the time being I'm using Kordon it has some formalin, all I could get local. Formalin on Amazon 10 days

Now my QT has a biological bloom.

Back