What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand people having issues are upset and Red Sea handling of social network may be unnerving to some users but there are literally thousands of Red Sea tanks out there that are working perfectly fine.

Destroying or trying to undermine the company reputation here it is also very boring and exhausting.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand people having issues are upset and Red Sea handling of social network may be unnerving to some users but there are literally thousands of Red Sea tanks out there that are working perfectly fine.

Destroying or trying to undermine the company reputation here it is also very boring and exhausting.
This is a logical fallacy. The idea that there are Red Sea tanks in the wild that haven't failed means nothing to those that have had tanks fail. It is also not proof that there is NOT a quality control issue at Red Sea, or that large rimless tanks without bracing may be more prone to failure than those with...The successful service company I worked for only used thick acrylic with bracing for large reef tanks. There were reasons for that.

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a logical fallacy. The idea that there are Red Sea tanks in the wild that haven't failed means nothing to those that have had tanks fail. It is also not proof that there is NOT a quality control issue at Red Sea, or that large rimless tanks without bracing may be more prone to failure than those with...The successful service company I worked for only used thick acrylic with bracing for large reef tanks. There were reasons for that.
Fallacy aplies to lies and I am not lying. Of course there have been tanks with issues I am not saying it did not happen but Red Sea has been in the business long enough to establish a name and we are not seeing any other complains/failure notifications. I own a Red Sea and know other people with Red Sea tanks so I talk first hand. There is no perfect company, we could trash every company out there for quality issues or the way the respond to claims. It is ok to complain but to keep spreading this is just to trash a company is not ok to me.

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fallacy aplies to lies and I am not lying. Of course there have been tanks with issues I am not saying it did not happen but Red Sea has been in the business long enough to establish a name and we are not seeing any other complains/failure notifications. I own a Red Sea and know other people with Red Sea tanks so I talk first hand. There is no perfect company, we could trash every company out there for quality issues or the way the respond to claims. It is ok to complain but to keep spreading this is just to trash a company is not ok to me.

Who is trashing them? Everyone who has posted here "negatively" is either bringing up either their own tank that had an issue, another person's tank who shared that they had an issue, or sharing instances of Red Sea possibly censoring reports of these problems.

That's not trashing a company, that's simply valid discourse. I haven't seen one person say oh, they're awful, all their tanks are bad, they're junk, so on and so forth. *shrug*

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who is trashing them? Everyone who has posted here "negatively" is either bringing up either their own tank that had an issue, another person's tank who shared that they had an issue, or sharing instances of Red Sea possibly censoring reports of these problems.

That's not trashing a company, that's simply valid discourse. I haven't seen one person say oh, they're awful, all their tanks are bad, they're junk, so on and so forth. *shrug*
That is exactly the point made on this thread, we can voice complains but when people keep bringing on and on the same issues goes from voicing a complain to something else.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think that it's unreasonable to continue posting about this issue. Just today we see another case of the aforementioned Facebook group allegedly censoring another tank failure. If anything we are coming to post here again because additional reasons continue surfacing.

It's important to keep optics on a topic like this when there is repeated astroturfing on the severity or frequency of the issue.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, Red Sea has made many tanks. But the ones in this thread that have failed have all been 750s. Lets keep that in mind when we talk about failures compared to how many they have built. If another size tank has failed please correct me.

I’m pretty sure the numbers aren’t out there for the public on the numbers of these tanks there are. So we can only speculate.

How ever with every failure the ratio and odds change.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As a Reefer 750 owner, this thread is now officially my least favorite thread on Reef2Reef! ;Bucktooth

So, how many people have functioning working 750s that aren't exploding at the seams? Surely there are dozens of us!
<--------- x 2

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes, Red Sea has made many tanks. But the ones in this thread that have failed have all been 750s. Lets keep that in mind when we talk about failures compared to how many they have built. If another size tank has failed please correct me.

I’m pretty sure the numbers aren’t out there for the public on the numbers of these tanks there are. So we can only speculate.

How ever with every failure the ratio and odds change.
the problem is - you - nor I - have any clue as to the denominator. is it 6/10,000 tanks or 6/100 tanks. In the mean time - frankly - you seem to have an agenda - what is it?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think that it's unreasonable to continue posting about this issue. Just today we see another case of the aforementioned Facebook group allegedly censoring another tank failure. If anything we are coming to post here again because additional reasons continue surfacing.

It's important to keep optics on a topic like this when there is repeated astroturfing on the severity or frequency of the issue.

This makes sense to a degree. however - according to the company - there is no problem. And no one knows the severity, frequency or cause of the issue. So - there is that.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is exactly the point made on this thread, we can voice complains but when people keep bringing on and on the same issues goes from voicing a complain to something else.

right - one person saying 'I had a problem' is not any more valuable than another person saying 'my tank is fine' or?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

@Mike.P remind everyone - what is the problem you had with your tank - i.e. what tank failed, damaged your property, etc. we all know - you had an issue with a tank that RedSea said was not a problem - and we know you worked with your LFS to manage that issue (by buying a larger tank)....

But - where is the evidence that 'redsea is censoring posts/reports' - yes - there are questions about it - but where is the evidence - you keep repeating the accusation? Believe me - if I thought that RedSea was censoring valid comments - I would be totally on your side. But - on the other hand - SOMEHOW - the information (despite red seas censoring mechanism) is out here now being discussed ad nauseam....

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

This is also an (illogical) fallacy. the problem is - do we know if its 6/10,000,000 tanks that have failed or 6/7 that have failed. Do we know that Waterbox - or other custom tank makers fail more - or less. the whole thread is a 'fallacy'. No offense - I don't think - even with your prose - you have any better idea than anyone else....?

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an agenda? How many consecutive posts do you have? How many times have you posted in this thread compared to me?

I've already stated my agenda - I own 2 of the tanks - The arguments of 'conspiracy' seem flawed. what is yours.??? Yes - I already stated my agenda. ...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an agenda? How many consecutive posts do you have? How many times have you posted in this thread compared to me?

BTW - I didn't say you 'had an agenda' - I asked 'what your agenda was?'. You could have just answered 'I have none.....'

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - I didn't say you 'had an agenda' - I asked 'what your agenda was?'. You could have just answered 'I have none.....'
You’re very argumentative... I stated my reason for posting a long time ago. No need to repost it or defend my self to you. Have a nice night.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You’re very argumentative... I stated my reason for posting a long time ago. No need to repost it or defend my self to you. Have a nice night.
Thanks you too.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually very happy Reef2reef hasn't closed this thread. Usually the sponsor will complain to the forum owner until its closed/locked or deleted. Since they pay a nice amount to be a sponsor, they get their way. I'm pretty sure Red Sea is a sponsor on here. Who knows... maybe Red Sea is complaining. Either way a thumbs up to the forums for leaving this up.

I'm sure it will come soon enough unfortunately. I've seen numerous threads removed or posts in them completely deleted for much less than what's going on in this thread.

@MnFish1 I'm certain that some forums indeed remove negative comments or information about there products, it's happened here a few times and all R2R has invested in it is income from said vendors. And R2R isn't even directly affected by negative information on a particular product or company, so the motive to censor negative reviews is more there for a page run by said vendor.

I've seen no real bashing of Red Sea aside from pointing out they may have deleted some posts which to me is entirely believable. Almost everyone on here has acknowledged that Red Sea overall produces excellent quality tanks and they have for many many years. The fact that these "Issues" (If there are any) seem to be isolated to the 750 line doesn't speak for the rest of the tanks Red Sea makes and I certainly don't feel like that was the intention here. Is it concerning that there have been a few failures, absolutely. No matter what brand it is, to brush off something like this as nothing is kind of silly when you consider the implications.

I think this thread is a really good reason for everyone to take a good hard look at there systems, no matter the brand. Check how level it is, Look for bowing in the glass or acrylic, check the stand for any warping or damage. And also look at any systems they have in place to mitigate any damages if something were to fail. Bottom line, no tank lasts forever and we should prepare as much as we can for the time that are lovely little oceans in a box bring a storm into to our homes.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back