Whats up with this acan?

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this acan last week and for the first few days it was super puffy and colorful but now it looks like that. I have it at the bottom of the tank with low light and low flow. All the other corals and fish are doing well. My water params are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate, .15 phos, 9.9kh, i dont have calcium test or mag test yet.

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 2.03.30 PM.png

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How should i go about doing that? I dont have a refugium, I dont have a skimmer so I cant carbon dose, and water changes wont really lower nitrate that much.
Get some chaeto maybe. You can just put it in your tank, or you can get one of those hang on back refugiums

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Chaeto is way too expensive maybe you should reevaluate, this hobby is not cheap. Water change will drop Nitrates. As far as acans they do shrink up sometimes for no reason. Or at least I don’t know why. Mine do this but they always bounce back after a few days.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Chaeto is way too expensive maybe you should reevaluate, this hobby is not cheap. Water change will drop Nitrates. As far as acans they do shrink up sometimes for no reason. Or at least I don’t know why. Mine do this but they always bounce back after a few days.
a refugium is 100 bucks plus chaeto and light is at least 150. u can definitely lower nitrate without breaking the bank

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a refugium is 100 bucks plus chaeto and light is at least 150. u can definitely lower nitrate without breaking the bank
I found chaeto is pretty cheap. You don't need a huge light. I use a 10 dollar light that grows it perfectly. A hang on back refugium is only 30 or 40 bucks. Another way is to reduce feeding or feed less frozen food and more flakes and pellets

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 nitrate is not worth trying to lower imo. Especially for an acan... I don't think thats the problem. Do you have any shrimp in the tank?

When you feed the tank does it change and have its feeding tentacles out? Might need some solid food. Mine does great when it gets some LRS every few days or so.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only inverts in the tank are hermits and snails. It used to have its tentacles out but has not recently.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found chaeto is pretty cheap. You don't need a huge light. I use a 10 dollar light that grows it perfectly. A hang on back refugium is only 30 or 40 bucks. Another way is to reduce feeding or feed less frozen food and more flakes and pellets
can u show me a 30-40 refugium?

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I just looked closer at the pic. There is a blue leg hermit bothering it right there. Im sure its being pestered into that condition.
lol the hermit just got there, the acan was like that before

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only inverts in the tank are hermits and snails. It used to have its tentacles out but has not recently.
It might be hermits? Do you feed your acan? Hermits will come up and irritate them. Also what light are you using? Sometimes too much light or light schedule may be off. If you’re concerned about refugiums prices maybe consider an ornamental Macroalgae like red ogo. You can check a lfs or aquarium club and see if someone is selling it for 10-20$ and wedge it into a rock of your tank. (Not necessarily the best solution imo, a refugium is always the way to go) but a cheap band aid for now. Also, dip your Macroalgae because whatever’s in someone else’s tank will go straight into yours if you don’t do a dip.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back