What's upsetting my softies?

carnthetiges

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 15g nano that's been a little neglected over the last 6 months or so after a new addition to the family.
At the moment it's softies - some mushroom, GSP, leathers and zoas that had mostly been happy.
It's a little overstocked with a clown, dottyback and flamehawk.

Battled dinos last year, got them under control dosing po4 and cutting back on the water changes (both po4 and no3 bottoming out).
Since then things have been OK but a solid mat of GHA has developed. Long enough to annoy, short enough to make manual removal very difficult.

Last 2 months the corals seem to have gone downhill. Zoas receding, leather closed and getting covered in algae, mushrooms not opening as much.
That coincides with my neglect. Basically just a 10% wc every fortnight and glass clean.
Only other thing ive been doing is spot dosing the GHA with 3% peroxide most night - just a little working my way around the rockwork.

I broke out the test kits today expecting high no3 (had approx 50 last time i tested a few month back) but discovered no nh3/no2/no3. Po4 i think was at 0.5 (hard to tell with salifert test kit).
My medium term plan is to replace the substrate and either replace all the rock (it's a few large awkward pieces) or give them a peroxide bath and break them into small pieces.

That's a lot to digest, any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics, please.

Softies often thrive on neglect -- I have one tank with broken lighting where I haven't done a water change in nearly four months, and xenia, Kenya Trees, and leathers are taking over the tank -- so that may not be the cause of decline here. Overgrowth in a nano might be a problem, though, as specific corals engage in chemical warfare in an attempt to wipe out their competition. You might need to prune.

You can run carbon and/or GFO, which will help to reduce the leathers' chemical production, and will also help you with your numbers. I don't think that your nitrates and phosphates are particularly problematic for what you have, but they can be reduced further.

OP
OP
C

carnthetiges

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually thought the neglect had gone too far but the zero no3 test has me scratching my head.
On a whim i added a little seagel (mix of carbon and phosguard) to see if it makes any difference.

Pics from Nov '21 and now...

old.png

current.jpg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard recipe: Back to the basics.

Keep these parameters (these are my recommendations)
1.025-1.026 sg
Alk 7-9 dkh
Ca: 420-500ppm
Phosphate0.05ppm-0.20ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm-15ppm

Do water 15% changes bimonthly. Run activated carbon.

For algae, all you need is a good cleanup crew. (Urchins, trochus snails, astrea snails) No hermit crabs, No chemicals/h202 needed.

Replacing sand is not needed. Changing rocks not needed either since new rocks can also have phosphates loaded.

Start siphoning sandbed one section each water change (not everything at once initially)

If your phosphates are too high, run 1/2 recommended GFO and change weekly (as a general guideline).

Good luck.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back