What's Wrong With Dory? Please Help.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my new batch of Tangs in their QT tanks a couple of hours ago and noticed my Blue Tang has something wrong with it.

Here is a video:

Please help me figure out what this is so I can treat it.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like velvet, and maybe a secondary infection.

Copper, and kanaplex + metroplex + furan-2 would be my recommendation.

Also, a freshwater dip followed by a 90-minute bath in ruby reef rally (acriflavine)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, a freshwater dip followed by a 90-minute bath in ruby reef rally (acriflavine)
I agree, this would also treat brook which I also wonder about.

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do I dose all those meds at the same time? And should I move my Bristletooth to another tank or just leave it and medicate them both?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I dose all those meds at the same time? And should I move my Bristletooth to another tank or just leave it and medicate them both?

They’ve all been exposed so I would treat everyone together. The kanaplex and furan-2 work best dosed together, can wait an hour or two to dose the metro if you want to reduce stress, but I dosed them all together and didn’t have any issues.

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’ve all been exposed so I would treat everyone together. The kanaplex and furan-2 work best dosed together, can wait an hour or two to dose the metro if you want to reduce stress, but I dosed them all together and didn’t have any issues.

Thanks!

I have copper and Metroplex on hand. I will need to find Furan-2 and Kanaplex. Hopefully one of the LFS around me has some.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

I have copper and Metroplex on hand. I will need to find Furan-2 and Kanaplex. Hopefully one of the LFS around me has some.

If not, you can get them on amazon and start the copper + metro in the meantime... I’d still try to get the acriflavine though if you can.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree.

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last question...well probably not but...

I am feeding them a lot, (probably 4-5 times a day) because I want to get them fat as possible in case they stop eating at some point. They are in an established tank that I used to QT my inverts, so it has been running for about 80 days now and cycled a while ago. I am not worried about ammonia or nitrite since the tank has been running for almost three months now. Is this okay or should I cut back on feeding them?

Idaho Mojo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last question...well probably not but...

I am feeding them a lot, (probably 4-5 times a day) because I want to get them fat as possible in case they stop eating at some point. They are in an established tank that I used to QT my inverts, so it has been running for about 80 days now and cycled a while ago. I am not worried about ammonia or nitrite since the tank has been running for almost three months now. Is this okay or should I cut back on feeding them?
It really depends on the amount that you're feeding multiplied by the number of times fed per day. It also depends on the size of tank, what filtration, substrate, etc.

You should also be testing your water parameters to be 100% sure you have your nitrate nitrite and ammonia within a safe range.

Whatever system the fish go into will be infected and have to run fallow before adding anything else or transferring things from one tank to another.

Do not medicate systems with inverts in them either.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they eat it all then feed,but some meds make fish stop eating.And you might get some ammonia from copper killing of some of your bacteria in your filter.

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on the amount that you're feeding multiplied by the number of times fed per day. It also depends on the size of tank, what filtration, substrate, etc.

You should also be testing your water parameters to be 100% sure you have your nitrate nitrite and ammonia within a safe range.

Whatever system the fish go into will be infected and have to run fallow before adding anything else or transferring things from one tank to another.

Do not medicate systems with inverts in them either.

The tank is a 10 gallon tank I usually used for inverts, but there are currently no inverts in the tank. It has two HOB filters, (one rated for 30 gallon and one for 20) for more circulation since there is no powerhead. Since it has been running without any fish, (or medication) for 80 days I just did a water change to get the Nitrates down, but used the same water and filter media, (minus the carbon). I did take out the live rock and it is a bare bottom tank. I plan on sterilizing the tank and equipment with bleach after this QT and probably wont use it again unless I need to since I have three other QT tanks that are much bigger, (45 gallons). I just used it this time because I needed the space, but will probably put it in storage after this QT.

If they eat it all then feed,but some meds make fish stop eating.And you might get some ammonia from copper killing of some of your bacteria in your filter.

I do have an ammonia badge in the tank and test all my QT tanks every day for the first 2 weeks and then twice a week after that.

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not find Kanoplex, but started copper, metroplex and Furan-2. Will update with results either way, but hopefully Dory makes it through.

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An hour after dosing Furan-2 and Metroplex with copper only up to .5, my Blue Tang is laying on the bottom of the tank breathing like crazy. I don't think this will end good...:(

Is there anything I can do at this point? Maybe a freshwater dip? Or should I just wait and see what happens?

Idaho Mojo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An hour after dosing Furan-2 and Metroplex with copper only up to .5, my Blue Tang is laying on the bottom of the tank breathing like crazy. I don't think this will end good...:(

Is there anything I can do at this point? Maybe a freshwater dip? Or should I just wait and see what happens?
I think you increased copper WAY too fast. Most people will increase copper to therapeutic levels of 1.5-1.75 over the course of several days to a week.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 131 74.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back