what's wrong with my maxima?

CakeyCake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got two Maxima's from algae barn yesterday and they barely opened up. The blue one looks great, the mantle is in good shape. The gold one doesn't look too good. The mantle seems to be curled in/pinched? Should I toss it and contact algae barn or wait?

Thanks

IMG_20201008_173234.jpg

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got two Maxima's from algae barn yesterday and they barely opened up. The blue one looks great, the mantle is in good shape. The gold one doesn't look too good. The mantle seems to be curled in/pinched? Should I toss it and contact algae barn or wait?

Thanks

IMG_20201008_173234.jpg
I’d try moving to the sand. On level ground. Wondering if the slanted rock is preventing it from fully opening. It looks like if it fully opened it would roll off the rock.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never toss them until they died. He does look close to death.
I have had them pull through when looking like this, but not often. You need to protect him from scavenger. Sick clams like this often get kill by scavengers.
I am sure he was stressed with shipping. Take good car of him and he may recover.

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that really doesn't look good. how did you acclimate it? do not place maxima clams on sand. they need to have rock underneath to attach to and prevent predators. but I do agree that it shouldn't be place on a slanted surface like that either it'll just roll down. find a way to wedge it. Did you also purchase the clam holder kit from Algae barn? I strongly recommend anyone getting a smaller clam to also get one of those.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Maxima clam inside the shell coming detached from its shell or is it fully intact inside in my experience once they come detached from the shell there is very little hope for them it is very easy to tell as the Clam will be loose lea floating in there the shell will protrude out more than the clam.

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks

IMG_20201008_173234.jpg
I have had Maxima clams tipped completely their side and still opened up fully

OP
OP
CakeyCake

CakeyCake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that really doesn't look good. how did you acclimate it? do not place maxima clams on sand. they need to have rock underneath to attach to and prevent predators. but I do agree that it shouldn't be place on a slanted surface like that either it'll just roll down. find a way to wedge it. Did you also purchase the clam holder kit from Algae barn? I strongly recommend anyone getting a smaller clam to also get one of those.

It's hard to see but it is wedged into the rock. I saw it open a bit more and it didn't budge. Even after puffing out a bit of water it didn't fall

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters and lighting like they love good lighting and good parameters you may just need to let it adjust to your tank

OP
OP
CakeyCake

CakeyCake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters and lighting like they love good lighting and good parameters you may just need to let it adjust to your tank

I'm at work right now so I don't have the exact parameters but they are good/stable. I've had a derasa and hippopus for 8 months now and they're doing great. I've seen a ton of growth.
The other maxima is doing well so far too

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That clam is sick due to shipping, not from the water condition of the tank, because the other clam doing well. Not light problem either. It take a while for the light to affect the clam unless it is an extremely high light level.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not looking good
They are reactive to water quality. Also assure there no pyramid snails around it.
Temperature not to exceed 80
Salinity not to exceed 1.026
Ph not to exceed 8.3
Alk not to exceed 9

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae barn killed a squamosa and a replacement squamosa I purchased by overdoing the ice pack. Extreme cold temperatures can do them in

OP
OP
CakeyCake

CakeyCake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae barn killed a squamosa and a replacement squamosa I purchased by overdoing the ice pack. Extreme cold temperatures can do them in

Ooooh it might be that. It was a bit cold outside when they arrived and they had two ice packs on them

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooooh it might be that. It was a bit cold outside when they arrived and they had two ice packs on them
Same, I live in Wisconsin it gets cold early. When I ask for replacement I told them about the ice packs they did it again anyway. I didn’t bother to contact them again will not buy clams from them anymore

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same, I live in Wisconsin it gets cold early. When I ask for replacement I told them about the ice packs they did it again anyway. I didn’t bother to contact them again will not buy clams from them anymore
Thanks for sharing, you should write a post in the vendor review section to warn the community of their ignorance.

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought clams from algaebarn along with several other items never had a single issue other than one rainforest goby which they replaced immediately algaebarn is a reputable company I would imagine it just due to stress of Transit or something else

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hesitant to bad mouth about them as I have been buying things from them and had good experience, until I see the OP has the same issue. Clams are sensitive to temperature and tricky to ship. I bet if I brought more stuff along side with the clam it won’t get as cold as a single clam in a tiny box with two ice packs. What annoys me was that after I mentioned the ice packs when I filed the DOA they ignored that and caused another clam to be killed in the same way

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 39 47.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.8%
Back