what's wrong with my maxima?

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hesitant to bad mouth about them as I have been buying things from them and had good experience, until I see the OP has the same issue. Clams are sensitive to temperature and tricky to ship. I bet if I brought more stuff along side with the clam it won’t get as cold as a single clam in a tiny box with two ice packs. What annoys me was that after I mentioned the ice packs when I filed the DOA they ignored that and caused another clam to be killed in the same way
Sorry it has gone like this for u I'm sure if u reach out to them again something can be worked out i have had all sorts of a shipping problems from multiple companies however shipping is hard as these people leave them in truck overnight and days sometimes without climate control in the back were packages are. I live in a little town we're the closest lfs is a 2 hour drive i order online a lot there are some that are great others not so much them i avoid.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in northdakota by the way I've seen itv50 below zero no joke. And algee barn has always been good i just leave them a note as i order tellsem my climate

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad things can happen with shipping and neither the seller or buyer can do anything about it. Where the package in transit have a lot to do with it also. Even in the winter, I assume the shipper would know what rout the package go through what kind of temperature stress the box is going to exposed to. IMO, it is the time waiting at the hubs, and delivery in the truck.
I always consider picking the package at the main hub of my city, so the package does not go bouncing around on a truck in the Corpus Christi heat for hours. The last few hours are of then the most critical of the whole times the animal spend in the box, especially for fish. 1 hr can absolutely mean healthy vs dead hypoxic fish.

With all that said, Algae Barns is a NO GO for me becasue I am very partial with my money and like to see my clams before I buy them. I send them email request quick phone pic before I order and told that "we don't send pictures".
There is no way I will buy an Ultra Maxima, Blue Squamosa or Crocea without a picture. Other clams Gigas, Derasa, Noae, Hippo are OK sight unseen, but 100+ dollars clam, there is just no way I hand my money over that easy.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bad things can happen with shipping and neither the seller or buyer can do anything about it. Where the package in transit have a lot to do with it also. Even in the winter, I assume the shipper would know what rout the package go through what kind of temperature stress the box is going to exposed to. IMO, it is the time waiting at the hubs, and delivery in the truck.
I always consider picking the package at the main hub of my city, so the package does not go bouncing around on a truck in the Corpus Christi heat for hours. The last few hours are of then the most critical of the whole times the animal spend in the box, especially for fish. 1 hr can absolutely mean healthy vs dead hypoxic fish.

With all that said, Algae Barns is a NO GO for me becasue I am very partial with my money and like to see my clams before I buy them. I send them email request quick phone pic before I order and told that "we don't send pictures".
There is no way I will buy an Ultra Maxima, Blue Squamosa or Crocea without a picture. Other clams Gigas, Derasa, Noae, Hippo are OK sight unseen, but 100+ dollars clam, there is just no way I hand my money over that easy.
That is totally understandable, the only issue is that once we start sending pictures to one then we must send pictures to everyone. We hope to add a wysiwyg option some point in the future! :) ~Shaun K.

OP
OP
CakeyCake

CakeyCake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very sorry to hear this! If you haven't already please fill out this form. https://www.algaebarn.com/claims/ ~Shaun K.

Update on the situation: the first gold maxima died shortly after I made the post. I received a replacement from Algae barn yesterday. It ALSO came in bad shape. I could see halfway into the shell and the mantle looked terrible. I decided to give it some time, thinking it might recover. Nope. It died today.

The blue/purple maxima they sent is having the time of its life in my tank right now. It looks amazing and I'm very happy with it.

So, maybe dont buy gold Maxima's from algae barn? I can understand livestock occasionally arriving in bad condition; but twice and both on death's door? Needless to say, I won't be buying from algae barn again.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update on the situation: the first gold maxima died shortly after I made the post. I received a replacement from Algae barn yesterday. It ALSO came in bad shape. I could see halfway into the shell and the mantle looked terrible. I decided to give it some time, thinking it might recover. Nope. It died today.

The blue/purple maxima they sent is having the time of its life in my tank right now. It looks amazing and I'm very happy with it.

So, maybe dont buy gold Maxima's from algae barn? I can understand livestock occasionally arriving in bad condition; but twice and both on death's door? Needless to say, I won't be buying from algae barn again.
That is very unfortunate to hear! Have you reached out to us in regards to the second clam? We would love to make things right :) ~Shaun K.

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was hesitant to bad mouth about them as I have been buying things from them and had good experience, until I see the OP has the same issue. Clams are sensitive to temperature and tricky to ship. I bet if I brought more stuff along side with the clam it won’t get as cold as a single clam in a tiny box with two ice packs. What annoys me was that after I mentioned the ice packs when I filed the DOA they ignored that and caused another clam to be killed in the same way
Hi was this ever taken care of for you? If not feel free to reach out on here! ~Shaun K.

OP
OP
CakeyCake

CakeyCake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very unfortunate to hear! Have you reached out to us in regards to the second clam? We would love to make things right :) ~Shaun K.

I have not, but honestly I don't even want a replacement anymore. I'm sure it would come in the same condition as the other two so I'd rather not have to deal with this anymore

AlgaeBarn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have not, but honestly I don't even want a replacement anymore. I'm sure it would come in the same condition as the other two so I'd rather not have to deal with this anymore
There are other options and you should totally reach out on here and I will get you squared :) ~Shaun K.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back