What's wrong with my Pyramid butterflyfish?

jibson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had this pyramid for about 2 months, arrived to be in bad shape - treated for flukes, standard QT and all was well.

Last few days I noticed a strange wart on him and some discolouring (dark coloured - reminds me of lymph but as it's not white-ish I'm not sure)

This could just all be nothing and I'm worrying - but didn't want it to turn out there's something wrong with him which could spread to my other fish and/or him suffer etc and I could've done something about it.

Here's the strange wart (no others on him):

1675620796317.png

And here's the dark-ish areas on his back fin:

1675620827306.png

Thanks very much, hopefully is nothing just want to make sure he's okay!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I've had this pyramid for about 2 months, arrived to be in bad shape - treated for flukes, standard QT and all was well.

Last few days I noticed a strange wart on him and some discolouring (dark coloured - reminds me of lymph but as it's not white-ish I'm not sure)

This could just all be nothing and I'm worrying - but didn't want it to turn out there's something wrong with him which could spread to my other fish and/or him suffer etc and I could've done something about it.

1675620796317.png

1675620827306.png

The wartlike spot appears to be a cyst which may have stemmed from a small injury and the tail looks normal while coloration is noted. Assure you are providing good water quality and are testing with a reliable test kit and offer a good quality diet high in fats and aminos. The fishs' body mass appears to look normal.
Keep an eye on both areas to assure it is stable or improving and not developing into bacterial or other issue

OP
OP
jibson

jibson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wartlike spot appears to be a cyst which may have stemmed from a small injury and the tail looks normal while coloration is noted. Assure you are providing good water quality and are testing with a reliable test kit and offer a good quality diet high in fats and aminos. The fishs' body mass appears to look normal.
Keep an eye on both areas to assure it is stable or improving and not developing into bacterial or other issue
Thanks so much for the fast reply - my water quality is very good and at the moment actually doing water changes every few days to keep my acro healthy. There's only 2 other small fish there so the water quality is very good. I feed him very well with vitamin enriched foods etc. Do you think that means he's on the right tracks?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1675620796317.png

1675620827306.png

These are really prone to Neobenedenia flukes and those are difficult to control - the timing is about right for a flare up. How did you treat for flukes originally?
Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

1675620796317.png

1675620827306.png

CURIOUS - how did you treat the flukes originally? - Dosage, etc - could it be that you under-dosed or misdosed (due to tank volume?). Nice Fish BTW

OP
OP
jibson

jibson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are really prone to Neobenedenia flukes and those are difficult to control - the timing is about right for a flare up. How did you treat for flukes originally?
Jay
@Jay Hemdal Thanks for your quick reply. So I used NT labs fluke medication which was flubendazole based, then did several freshwater dips transfering to a new tank each time before putting in display tank. Should I begin treating him again? Is there a risk of it being passed on to other fish? In UK we don't have the same access to things like prazi pro etc, so not sure of what else I could use.

Thanks very much

OP
OP
jibson

jibson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CURIOUS - how did you treat the flukes originally? - Dosage, etc - could it be that you under-dosed or misdosed (due to tank volume?). Nice Fish BTW
@MnFish1 Thankyou! I really like him that's why I'm worried about his health. The medication was just flubendazole based from NT labs as best you can get in UK and it states on bottle only requires a 7 day treatment but did it for 14 to be safe. Then 3 freshwater baths were carried out - one to another QT, and then a spare holding tank and then one to it's new display tank. Any advice? UK have no good fluke medication about :(

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal Thanks for your quick reply. So I used NT labs fluke medication which was flubendazole based, then did several freshwater dips transfering to a new tank each time before putting in display tank. Should I begin treating him again? Is there a risk of it being passed on to other fish? In UK we don't have the same access to things like prazi pro etc, so not sure of what else I could use.

Thanks very much
Sorry, I don’t have a lot of experience with flubendazole, so I can’t advise you on this.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal How about prazi pro? Reckon that'll be okay? Managed to order some shipped from US, do you think this may solve these potential issues arising? Thanks again
Yes, but prazi may need 3 treatments spaced 8 or 9 days apart . For sure order enough for two treatments.
Jay

OP
OP
jibson

jibson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but prazi may need 3 treatments spaced 8 or 9 days apart . For sure order enough for two treatments.
Jay
Will give this a shot, thanks. Are you thinking is likely starting of flukes as normally has a lot more spots when I've seen on pyramids before. Should I worry about all the other tank inhabitants or just quarantine the pyramid?

Thanks again much appreciated

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back