Whats wrong with my zoas?? Pics inside!

davejep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here goes nothing.
Have had many of the same issues.
Most zoas open and happy but always a few closed up and not doing as well as one would like.
Will report back in 24 hours with my results.

Last edited:

davejep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after doing a treatment on a whole things look better.
Small bit of nuisance algae is gone. Some Zoas are still closed though. Will have to wait a couple of days to see how things progress.

davejep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so after a couple more days, I am very happy with the results. Everything is way happier, an brighter.
Only have a colony of gobbstoppers that is still unhappy. Might take em out and do a separate coral Rx dip.
if that doesn't do it then I will try Peroxide.
All in all I would highly recommend this if you are having issues

OP
OP
Reef_a_holiks

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so after a couple more days, I am very happy with the results. Everything is way happier, an brighter.
Only have a colony of gobbstoppers that is still unhappy. Might take em out and do a separate coral Rx dip.
if that doesn't do it then I will try Peroxide.
All in all I would highly recommend this if you are having issues

Glad the treatment helped out. It did wonders for me, my zoas have been thriving ever since. Give it a couple more days for the gobbstoppers im sure they will come back nicely

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Cyano is a Bacteria so therefore Chemi-Clean Kills Bacteria.

My Question is Does anybody know if Chemi-Clean Kills Off the Beneficial Bacteria in the Tank that Breaks Down Ammonia and Nitrite?

I have used Chemi-Clean Many Times Before With No Problems.

But While using It I Never Feed anything in the Tank for Fear that there would be a Lack of Beneficial Bacteria and Hence Possibly Causing an Ammonia Spike with all the Food that I put in.

But now I feed Fuel and Reef Roids Twice a Week as Recommended.

Has anybody used Reef Roids with Chemi-Clean at the Same Time?

I want to keep using Reef Roids because my Zoanthids Love it but I do not want to Risk an Ammonia Spike.

Any Thoughts on this Matter are Greatly Appreciated.

Last edited:

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No updates since Feb 2016, I ended up at this thread while searching to fix my zoas issue stated similar here, I started the treatment of chemiclean last night and hoping for some result. I wish i had seen some recent posts who reefer still using them.

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have access to an Ogles Mesoscope or a D-D Nanoscope. It is my experience that zoas do not partially respond like that to water or light as those items would be tank wide and all your zoas would likely be closed up. On the other hand zoas respond like that to pests. Do you by chance have asterinas?

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No updates since Feb 2016, I ended up at this thread while searching to fix my zoas issue stated similar here, I started the treatment of chemiclean last night and hoping for some result. I wish i had seen some recent posts who reefer still using them.
Post your outcome. I'm interested in the results. I've been dealing with this for a couple months now and am at my witts end.

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did add chemiclean recommended dose, did not feed the fish for two days, no skimmer, ran for 48hrs then did water change 20%. Today is the 4th day and no sign of any improvement or failure.

Wonder while in treatment, i did not remove Poly filter pads in my sump which i added a week ago to absorb any contamination. (I did inspect everywhere and found skimmer pump had rust so i believe it contaminated the water)

in any case i haven't seen my zoas open yet or it looks in bad shape. even my gsp was long hairy and waving when i get 2 months ago is just expand tiny bit.

I am breaking my head and researching and researching to find a fix for this situation but no luck.

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what it does or how it works but chemiclean helped me. I love zoas and I hate seeing them die off so this is why I'm sharing what worked for me. It's up to you if you want to try it. I experiment a lot so it wasn't a problem for me, good luck.
Hi.

I read in a this thread that you've used chemi clean to fix a zoa problem with success.

I'm having problem with my collection and I'm thinking I might try chemi clean.

But I do have some questions and hopefully you can take the time to answer them and make me a little bit more confident to try the chemiclean solution.

Chemi clean has multiple products - which one to use? Red, blue-green, black.. ??

Did you use it exactly as intended / instructions on the box?

For how long time did you have to wait until you saw positiv results?

Best regards

Andre

Dimorb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so far not much change, i do see a lil improvement but very minimal in the zoas. :/ hasnt even been 24 hours though so lets see what happens later on to tomorrow. if no change then i know its nothing bacterial.
Could you tell me what chemiclean product you used, if you dosed accordingly to the box or custom dose and how long time you had to wait until you saw positiv results?

Is it absolutely necessary to make a waterchange afterwards or would it be ok if the water was diluted with a large amount of saltwater ?

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back