What's your favorite "overlooked" fish of the month?

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
And in their house...

20200727_162639.jpg

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
Used to have firefish. Loved those little suckers. I named them AC and DC. Went through a few pairs - kept disappearing. I never figured it out.... but my dog has developed a real love of sushi.
Yep, same here. The trio pictured started life in our tank as quintuplets. Now we have screen on top of screen to keep them in.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time
View Badges
Reaction score
Any type of leopard wrasse.

Often times touted as an "expert only" fish, but are really hardy, and peaceful. The "expert only" tag comes from the picky way they eat, and often times will not transition to frozen food. If you can get them eating, the "expert only" tag goes away.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting

VLR3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Damsels! I know they can be ******s but they come in so many colors and sizes! I’ve thought about having an all damsel tank with as many different varieties as I could house.

radiata

View Badges
Reaction score
I've always had a soft spot for the Philippine Yellow Brotula, a.k.a. "Daffodil Brotula". One became available today on Live Aquaria's Diver's Den. Here's a link: https://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/532398/yellow-brotulid . They're small (up to 5"), peaceful and relatively inexpensive, but they are also very few and far between. Weirdly enough, they also happen to be livebearers! The last one I kept was many, many years ago. It was in a 65G with a lot of live rock. I didn't see it very much after I put it in, and I eventually assumed it had died. A few years later, I happened to find a small fish fillet floating in the tank. I accounted for all the fish in the tank that I knew were alive, and then I realized it was the remains of the Brotula.

I sure would love to get a bonded pair of them!

I've seen references to a black version of them that are supposedly found in the Caribbean and up the Atlantic coast to the Carolinas. But, I've never seen a live one...

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Red Scooter blenny/Starry dragonet is probably mine. I don't have a good photo on this computer, but mines in my build thread. Mine was the first fish I bought for my reef tank, and he's been very hardy throughout, and has beautiful coloration. He just scoots along all day long munching pods and brine shrimp.

Also Lawnmower blenny. They are so full of personality!

OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Used to have firefish. Loved those little suckers. I named them AC and DC. Went through a few pairs - kept disappearing. I never figured it out.... but my dog has developed a real love of sushi.
Just curious if you had a screen top because those little suckers can fly. I lost one during a water change. I moved the screen only about 6 inches. He must have jumped while I wasn't looking.

Avast

Do you utilize the weekends for tank tasks?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 299 62.4%
  • NO

Votes: 36 7.5%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 136 28.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 1.7%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
PremiumAquatics.com