What's your favorite thing about having a SW tank?

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys... I've been thinking... what's our desire as humans to have oceans in a box in our home? I'm not even really sure what drew me to having a saltwater tank, maybe I thought the fish were pretty lol? Anyways, I was thinking about how much I love being in this hobby, and was wondering, what's your favorite thing about reefing?

I'll start: the fact that the hobby is always changing and never becomes blasé to me.... :)

OP
OP
FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also... I'm so sorry... the title of this meant to be "What's your favorite thing about reefing?" although somehow that never registered with me and I never finished the title lol

But... sorry about that

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite thing is the biodiversity that comes with a reef tank. I have critters at all levels of the food chain and I love it. I love watching my sponges grow under the rocks, I love watching the life that springs up in my refugium, I even enjoy seeing how big strands of algae can get knowing it's just a singular celled organism.

bigpaul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy the diversity in the tank, the personalities of the live stock and the challenges that come when my tank starts to not look so good. I also enjoy the overall maintenance of cleaning filter socks, water changes, testing and cleaning the skimmer cup.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. The colors
2. Takes my bad thoughts and focuses it on the tank and its relaxing quality
3. Working on the tank gets me out of other chores and talking to the wife.
4. Give me reason to interact here with you great folks

OP
OP
FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. The colors
2. Takes my bad thoughts and focuses it on the tank and its relaxing quality
3. Working on the tank gets me out of other chores and talking to the wife.
4. Give me reason to interact here with you great folks

Haha yes it definitely does get you out of doing things, doesn't it?? That does help quite a bit lol

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just like the thrill of playing with dangerous amounts of saltwater & electricity right next to each other. :eek::D

j/k ... very therapeutic and i like being an armchair marine biologist. thank you jacques cousteau & yr wonderful tv documentaries i watched as a kid!!

upload_2019-6-30_7-11-11.gif

:)

OP
OP
FishFinatic ;)

FishFinatic ;)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just like the thrill of playing with dangerous amounts of saltwater & electricity right next to each other. :eek::D

j/k ... very therapeutic and i like being an armchair marine biologist. thank you jacques cousteau & yr wonderful tv documentaries i watched as a kid!!

upload_2019-6-30_7-11-11.gif

:)

Yes!!! I remember when I was about 4 or so my grandpa gave me a book about dolphins written by Jacques Cousteau... obviously I couldn’t read all of the words but I looked at the pictures and the captions.... that’s what first got me into the hobby and looking at the saltwater tanks.... back then I couldn’t articulate what each thing in the “big tank with Nemo” was, but that’s what first started my fascination with fish. When I was in kindergarten, we had a career day where we all stood up and said what we wanted to be, and my answer was, I wanted to be like the man who wrote the dolphin book..... wow that was such a long time ago but I’ve never forgotten that

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EVERYTHING!! Aside from all the answers above, I live in a state that 8 months of the year it is too cold to garden (my other passion is peonies...I am what is called "an old soul") and 2 months of the year it is so blessed hot and humid, and every bug wants to eat you alive. So my reef gives me something to obsess over for 10 months of my year!

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my first aquarium in Germany and when I moved to the States I took it with me. 110G freshwater ( off course just the tank came along) I never seemed to have the money or time to go to Saltwater had 2 kids instead LOL Now for the past 4 Years I am totally into it and my OCD is helping hahaha I first had a 72G bowfront what quickly became a 180G room divider that actually cracked on me so that is when the 220G came into play. I love all of it the beauty when things grow the constantly changing pictures you get the relaxation the wow’s from friends what come to my house I do it all on my own nobody touches my beauty and yes I did put a camera and sensors and remotes on it so when I fly to Germany I can see and control it from there. SO in short ...I love all of it and every day a little more :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Color and growth of coral.
To me, its not a tank but a piece of the ocean

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back