What's your water change schedule?

Michael W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I have been going through forums and videos on YouTube to find the best ways to set up a saltwater tank (I am new to all this), I have realized two things; 1.) Saltwater is one of the most expensive hobbies I have ever seen, and 2.) It seems like water changes can be less frequent for saltwater than for freshwater. Can anyone confirm that thought and give their opinions and personal experiences with water changes? If this helps I am going to be getting the Red Sea REEFER 250 (50 gallon) Deluxe kit which comes with a sump and a top-off unit. Thank you for any thoughts.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started I did roughly 10% water changes per week. This got old real fast, so it eventually went to 20% every two weeks. Now I've further simplified it to 25 gallons (total water volume guestimated at 110 g), at the beginning of the month and mid way through the month.....much easier to remember....and easier on me. :cool:

OP
OP
Michael W.

Michael W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a skimmer and what about reactors

I may not start off with a skimmer because of expenses but a skimmer will definitely be incorporated later on. Any ideas on what to use for reactors on a 50 gallon tank?

Annahra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo your water values are what will dictate your water change schedule. I've been doing almost twice weekly because I'm feeding heavily (filter feeders) and I have live rock that's still curing some. It also depends on how much you want to supplement as your water changes provide a replenishment of essential elements.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I have been going through forums and videos on YouTube to find the best ways to set up a saltwater tank (I am new to all this), I have realized two things; 1.) Saltwater is one of the most expensive hobbies I have ever seen, and 2.) It seems like water changes can be less frequent for saltwater than for freshwater. Can anyone confirm that thought and give their opinions and personal experiences with water changes? If this helps I am going to be getting the Red Sea REEFER 250 (50 gallon) Deluxe kit which comes with a sump and a top-off unit. Thank you for any thoughts.
Welcome to the Reef 2 Reef Family.

I'm old school and I do 18% water changes every week as one piece of my puzzle for nitrates and phos.
This also gives me plenty of time to suck up the remaining detritus from the bare bottom floor my the Python no spill with the wide tube off the end of the tubing.

Regards, GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may not start off with a skimmer because of expenses but a skimmer will definitely be incorporated later on. Any ideas on what to use for reactors on a 50 gallon tank?
I personally d0 not fire up a skimmer until the cycle is complete. I just want nature to do it's job.
Also you can't even dial in a skimmer properly on a new setup. Not enough organics are in a new system to keep a skimmer dialed in unless you want to pull in almost all very wet watery skimmate.
You will just be tinkering and I let all the organics stay in the reef to get a good and deep cycle.

But... TJMO :)

Last edited:

albyone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you do not have a skimmer you will have to closely monitor the amounts of food or whatever you use to cycle your tank... as well as use a gravel siphon more than you like... I went with ought a skimmer for about a month but it makes a huge difference... if you go without a skimmer I personally would get a hob rated for a 75g, as well as 2 good power heads if you oppose them correctly

atticus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say it def depends on our set and everyone is prob different. I'm still new to the hobby (2yrs) when I started I started out with a 30g long fusion. I religiously did 10g gallon WC every Sunday. I then got a 100g, 5g, and another 30g, and realized how taxing it was to do WC on 4 tanks! I then cut back to one maybe two changes a month. Parameters stay pretty much in check and fish/Coral are all happy. All that being said I will stay after WCs corals do perk up a little more and seems happier.

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When everything is finally moving and working great (this means food is perfectly dialed in, dosing is perfect, and not nutrient exportation has been taking care of) I was able to do about 10% every other week with a 20% change at the end of the month. Some people can get away with no water changes, i just have never been able to.

OP
OP
Michael W.

Michael W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good! Thanks for the ideas. I saw someone said I should have a HOB rated 75g but my tank does come with a fully functional sump and micron socks. Any ideas on what to do in my sump? I am a beginner but I was thinking a refugium or reactors in there until I can get enough money for a skimmer.

Broadwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good! Thanks for the ideas. I saw someone said I should have a HOB rated 75g but my tank does come with a fully functional sump and micron socks. Any ideas on what to do in my sump? I am a beginner but I was thinking a refugium or reactors in there until I can get enough money for a skimmer.

You can always go with the TLF Phosban Reactors... you can put GFO in one reactor and Carbon in the other. They are fairly inexpensive as well. You could also go with a HOB Refugium. The fuge may not be big enough to effectively reduce Nitrate and Phosphate but will uptake some and also provide food to your display inhabitants. By using a HOB Refugium that will leave space in your sump for future expansion of a skimmer down the road.

OP
OP
Michael W.

Michael W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always go with the TLF Phosban Reactors... you can put GFO in one reactor and Carbon in the other. They are fairly inexpensive as well. You could also go with a HOB Refugium. The fuge may not be big enough to effectively reduce Nitrate and Phosphate but will uptake some and also provide food to your display inhabitants. By using a HOB Refugium that will leave space in your sump for future expansion of a skimmer down the road.

Does a HOB refugium hang in the sump or in the display tank?

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I only have this as my filtration system (75G display, SPS dominated mixed reef). It can be as simple as mine or full blown refugium with all the weapons of choice in it to beat nitrate/phosphate.

IMG-20170414-WA0002.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back