When can I get an anemone, also what kind?

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of these as test subjects too, awaiting a bubble tip. Good advice

I'll just wait. I don't want to kill anything and my thought is why get two when I really only want one? If I'm going to do a "test" I think I would be better off just doing it with a BTA. *shrugs*

Leo58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do not remove your fake anemones unless they are toxic. Clownfish that learn to live without one might not host anemones once provided. If yours is hosting the fake one then for sure it will host a real one but you must keep them train or they might forget. BTA are the best anemones because they are relatively easy to keep and will host any clownfish. Also clownfish love anemone to death will sometime forgo foods just to stay close to it can't say the same about other fish where foods are always top

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do not remove your fake anemones unless they are toxic. Clownfish that learn to live without one might not host anemones once provided. If yours is hosting the fake one then for sure it will host a real one but you must keep them train or they might forget. BTA are the best anemones because they are relatively easy to keep and will host any clownfish. Also clownfish love anemone to death will sometime forgo foods just to stay close to it can't say the same about other fish where foods are always top

Well I do have 4 fake anemones. One is still dry. The bad thing is I have no idea if they are toxic. I mean they are marketed as safe and non-toxic and all this good stuff but who knows if it's really true? Maybe I should do an ICP test now?

Leo58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I can't help you there:(. If you want anemones you need strong lighting, stable parameters,low nitrate. It's meant that every time you add a coral,fish you could unstabilise your tank. So proceed slowly cause if things die in your tank it could set you back.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just wait. I don't want to kill anything and my thought is why get two when I really only want one? If I'm going to do a "test" I think I would be better off just doing it with a BTA. *shrugs*

You can keep the flower ones with the bubble tip. Just look uo flower anemone and you will see the spread out nicely and add some great color

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep the flower ones with the bubble tip. Just look uo flower anemone and you will see the spread out nicely and add some great color

True. I did look them up and they do look nice. They are hardier than a BTA? Either way it will have to be after the move but just wondering why they are good to start with flower anemone and not directly with a BTA?

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I can't help you there:(. If you want anemones you need strong lighting, stable parameters,low nitrate. It's meant that every time you add a coral,fish you could unstabilise your tank. So proceed slowly cause if things die in your tank it could set you back.

Ok, thank you. I'm trying to learn to be more patient. I'm sure to most people on here I seem like the most impulsive person on the planet. I'm actually trying to teach my 8 year old son how hard work can pay off and the value of patience etc.

I am a pretty impulsive person in general. I think with a first (satlwater) tank and it being my sole tank it can be hard to wait. I think when I get a bigger tank and what not I will be more patient since I've done this before. Going to try to be as patient as I can be from here on out.

Leo58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock flower anemones are not necessarily hardier than BTA. I have 8 flower nems and lost 3 in the past eventhough my BTAs and long tentacle are just fine. Mini carpet maybe easier.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA's are absolutely beautiful too

I'm not looking. *Covers eyes* :cool:

I'm not a window shopper. I only go to a store with an intention to buy. Same thing when I go car shopping etc. So on that note I have seen some BTA's but not going to tempt myself by looking at them right now lol.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not looking. *Covers eyes* :cool:

I'm not a window shopper. I only go to a store with an intention to buy. Same thing when I go car shopping etc. So on that note I have seen some BTA's but not going to tempt myself by looking at them right now lol.

I kind of blame this on my anxiety. I always feel like I have to stock up on things "right now". Not later. The positive is I'm usually never scrambling at the last minute, although I'm the type to buy too much than not enough. I'm sure I had 20 feet of plumbing in my cart at one point (over exageratrinf a little). This trait always helped me in school though. I'd always be prepared. Darn boy scouts! Haha.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of blame this on my anxiety. I always feel like I have to stock up on things "right now". Not later. The positive is I'm usually never scrambling at the last minute, although I'm the type to buy too much than not enough. I'm sure I had 20 feet of plumbing in my cart at one point (over exageratrinf a little). This trait always helped me in school though. I'd always be prepared. Darn boy scouts! Haha.
Eagle here brother ;)

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. I did look them up and they do look nice. They are hardier than a BTA? Either way it will have to be after the move but just wondering why they are good to start with flower anemone and not directly with a BTA?
Nems will move around and sting your stuff, if your only gonna do nems in your 50 then yea, sweet, but; I +1 @Katrina71 with the frogspawn. They are super easy, provides visual flow to the tank, and your clownfish can hangout in or near it. You could get this tomorrow and it would be fine. Maybe bump mag to 1380 and calcium to 430. But yea, super easy more or less. You could also get some zoas if you like the looks of any of them, they are also pretty indestructible. Just for extra cool stuff, not for the clowns lol.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back