When can I get an anemone, also what kind?

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nems will move around and sting your stuff, if your only gonna do nems in your 50 then yea, sweet, but; I +1 @Katrina71 with the frogspawn. They are super easy, provides visual flow to the tank, and your clownfish can hangout in or near it. You could get this tomorrow and it would be fine. Maybe bump mag to 1380 and calcium to 430. But yea, super easy more or less. You could also get some zoas if you like the looks of any of them, they are also pretty indestructible. Just for extra cool stuff, not for the clowns lol.

Hmm OK, frogspawn is sounding better and better. Really I just want my clowns to have a place to hide and sleep. I feel they would be too exposed without at least something.

Still waiting until after the move but I may try this after. I don't want to limit my choices so early on by going with a nem and regretting it later.

Ohh what about some pulsing xenia? Not necessarily for the clowns but just in general. I kind of want to make a small little island for it. I like how the hands open and close (I know they may not always do this, sometimes not at all from what I've heard). This is one of the only corals that I've said, man this looks really cool. Lol.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm OK, frogspawn is sounding better and better. Really I just want my clowns to have a place to hide and sleep. I feel they would be too exposed without at least something.

Still waiting until after the move but I may try this after. I don't want to limit my choices so early on by going with a nem and regretting it later.

Ohh what about some pulsing xenia? Not necessarily for the clowns but just in general. I kind of want to make a small little island for it. I like how the hands open and close (I know they may not always do this, sometimes not at all from what I've heard). This is one of the only corals that I've said, man this looks really cool. Lol.
Yea for sure. As long as your nitrates are detectable it will grow like crazy.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hmm OK, then in that case my rough draft of what my plan is as follows. Move, get the tank setup again, get an ATO system in place ASAP. Get consistant calcium, mag, alk readings. Already have some Hanna checkers I'm going to buy. Get another MP10WQD, then get a frogspawn and give it a month or two and then maybe some pulsing Xenia after that.

By the time I get the ATO and what not I'll probably be at 6 months in or so and it'll give me a chance to stabilize everything with switching salts and maybe a different skimmer, etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hmm OK, then in that case my rough draft if what my plan is as follows. Move, get the tank setup again, get an ATO system in place ASAP. Get consistant calcium, mag, alk readings. Already have some Hanna checkers I'm going to buy. Get another MP10WQD, then get a frogspawn and give it a month or two and then maybe some pulsing Xenia after that.

By the time I get the ATO and what not I'll probably be at 6 months in or so and it'll give me a chance to stabilize everything with switching salts and maybe a different skimmer, etc.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm OK, then in that case my rough draft if what my plan is as follows. Move, get the tank setup again, get an ATO system in place ASAP. Get consistant calcium, mag, alk readings. Already have some Hanna checkers I'm going to buy. Get another MP10WQD, then get a frogspawn and give it a month or two and then maybe some pulsing Xenia after that.

You don’t even need to rush the 2nd mp10. Frogspawns/torches/euphilla in general are super easy. Xenia keep on an island for sure, I made that mistake.. lol. You can get the Xenia anytime, it won’t die. I try to kill mine on purpose and it won’t die lol.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t even need to rush the 2nd mp10. Frogspawns/torches/euphilla in general are super easy. Xenia keep on an island for sure, I made that mistake.. lol. You can get the Xenia anytime, it won’t die. I try to kill mine on purpose and it won’t die lol.

Lol, sounds like a plan. I'll have to redo my scape a bit to make sure it can have a island at least 5" away from any other rocks. No point in doing it now since the rocks are coming out for the move.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, sounds like a plan. I'll have to redo my scape a bit to make sure it can have a island at least 5" away from any other rocks. No point in doing it now since the rocks are coming out for the move.
Nicee. Good plan.

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As has been advised above, take the fake Anemone out. Having them deteriorate and fall apart in your water is not a good thing. Although they look great in a host Clownfish do not need one and when you take it out they will be hosted by something else, whether that’s a rock, coral, wave maker or even the corner of your tank. A new aquarium take months and months to settle down and if you have diatoms and other algae in your tank it means that it is still going through the settling down period. A year is generally a good guideline time before adding a nem which most of all needs stability in your tank. When you eventually put one in the clowns will find it and be hosted in no time.

Shaun.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. I did look them up and they do look nice. They are hardier than a BTA? Either way it will have to be after the move but just wondering why they are good to start with flower anemone and not directly with a BTA?

My shop will give me rock flowers for free..... or at least thrown in with purchases.......

The Bubble Tip I am eyeing is $90..... I chose to ise them as “tests” for the same reason I don’t have clowns or anything other than Damsels and Chromises right now........ they are “expendable”. With that says, I haven’t lost anything yet so my tank is doing well

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My shop will give me rock flowers for free..... or at least thrown in with purchases.......

The Bubble Tip I am eyeing is $90..... I chose to ise them as “tests” for the same reason I don’t have clowns or anything other than Damsels and Chromises right now........ they are “expendable”. With that says, I haven’t lost anything yet so my tank is doing well
No animal should be ‘expendable’...

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No animal should be ‘expendable’...

If a bee kept stinging you would you kill it? What about a bees nest at your front door where your children play? How about a snake that but you. A rabbid dog that mauled a family member. Cockroaches are ex40endabke to me. I don't know I'm what I'd consider an animal lover but just playing devils advocate. I sure don't mind cows being killed to make juicy burgers.

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a bee kept stinging you would you kill it? What about a bees nest at your front door where your children play? How about a snake that but you. A rabbid dog that mauled a family member. Cockroaches are ex40endabke to me. I don't know I'm what I'd consider an animal lover but just playing devils advocate. I sure don't mind cows being killed to make juicy burgers.
A valid point but those animals would be killed for a reason. Why buy ornamental fish or anemones, or other livestock just to test your water knowing that they may die because you couldn’t be bothered to run a few tests or have a little patience to make sure you could give them the very best chance of surviving. Losses happen in this hobby and morally it is a very complex issue. All we can do in the long run is do our very best to give them a decent chance.

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry, but I don't agree, you're not comparing apples with apples. IMO, you have a choice here where you can plan and have the ability to do your best not to kill something. For those who love this hobby is trying to preserve it so countries around the world don't continue to ban what we love. Sorry, but I truly feel you should not be in this hobby if you think and feel like that.

Last edited:

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but I don't agree, you're not comparing apples with apples. IMO, you have a choice here where you can plan and have the ability to do your best not to kill something. For those who love this hobby is trying to preserve it so countries around the world don't continue to ban what we love. Sorry, but I truly feel you should not be in the hobby if you think and feel like that.
Jon said that not Phil

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but I don't agree, you're not comparing apples with apples. IMO, you have a choice here where you can plan and have the ability to do your best not to kill something. For those who love this hobby is trying to preserve it so countries around the world don't continue to ban what we love. Sorry, but I truly feel you should not be in this hobby if you think and feel like that.

Just trying to be open minded. I have no losses to date nor would I intentionally put something in my aquarium that I thought would die. Just making conversation and being open minded.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_advocate

"In common parlance, the term devil's advocatedescribes someone who, given a certain point of view, takes a position he or she does not necessarily agree with (or simply an alternative position from the accepted norm), for the sake of debate or to explore the thought further."

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A valid point but those animals would be killed for a reason. Why buy ornamental fish or anemones, or other livestock just to test your water knowing that they may die because you couldn’t be bothered to run a few tests or have a little patience to make sure you could give them the very best chance of surviving. Losses happen in this hobby and morally it is a very complex issue. All we can do in the long run is do our very best to give them a decent chance.

Yeah I agree. That's why I questioned why would I buy a flower anemone as a "test" instead of a bubble tip to begin with. Regardless I think I have decided on no anemone for now and instead a frogspawn and pulsing xenia a little later down the road. Every one thinks differently and I just try to see things from all sides. I'd never consider a fish disposable myself, but I do feel corals, snail's, etc are on a lower level so to speak. Not that I would want to kill them, just throwing stuff out there really.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m at 6 months and I’m itching to get one as well. However I’ve already made some mistakes and suffered some losses that could have been avoided had I followed the advice that can be found on this site. Doing my best not to learn the hard way any more since so many here have already done that for me.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back