When can I get an anemone, also what kind?

MPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer you make some good points @Why-Me. I think I know the answer is no but there isn't like some plant or super easy coral that can take it's place for now? Maybe that resembkes an anemone or similar shape. I assume it's too early for mostly any coral but just thought I'd ask just in case I'm missing an obvious option.
My clown pair burrowed divots in the sand to hang out in. One of them discovered my elegance coral one day and hasn’t left it since. As you do research in clowns, you’ll find that they may or may not choose to take different kinds of coral as a host. I’ve seen them in frog spawn, torches and hammers also. I’ve also seen them completely ignore some nems depending on the type of clown they are.
I’ve also been unable to keep a nem for the first 6 months of my tank. It’s taken a year for it to really stabilize.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown pair burrowed divots in the sand to hang out in. One of them discovered my elegance coral one day and hasn’t left it since. As you do research in clowns, you’ll find that they may or may not choose to take different kinds of coral as a host. I’ve seen them in frog spawn, torches and hammers also. I’ve also seen them completely ignore some nems depending on the type of clown they are.
I’ve also been unable to keep a nem for the first 6 months of my tank. It’s taken a year for it to really stabilize.
I have a black clown currently hosting a 2” pvc elbow in QT.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just wait. I don't want to kill anything and my thought is why get two when I really only want one? If I'm going to do a "test" I think I would be better off just doing it with a BTA. *shrugs*

Here's what I meant when I recommended starting with a couple of rock flower anemones.
RFAs are quite hardy (compared to many nems), colorful, have a small footprint in your tank, rarely move around, and get along with other anemones for the most part.
So they are a good 'starter' nem, and having some in your tank won't stop you from getting a BTA or LTA later. :)

Last edited:

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is assuming all Picasso clowns are A. Percula. Not sure if that's a true statement but seems thats the case by quickly searching Picasso clownfish.

Yes, the Picasso name applies to designer perculas. Similarly, Da Vinci clowns are ocellaris.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of them discovered my elegance coral one day and hasn’t left it since. As you do research in clowns, you’ll find that they may or may not choose to take different kinds of coral as a host. I’ve seen them in frog spawn, torches and hammers also.

They will sometimes play in goniopora and alveopora corals as well. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have SB extremes and great lights. Keep the whites low which are intense on these units.
Although you have the itch for nems, The only one until tank is well established (6-9 mos) I would recommend is a condylactus or Haitian anemone which are basic care and may or may not bond with a clown. They require moderate current and feeding 2-3X per week. DONT rush it though. Focus on water quality and what specimens you have currently. No insult intended but I have noticed your stocking plan is going quickly and continuous additions of livestock is going to have a huge impact on your tank health and possible total loss.
Id pull back for at least 6-10 weeks and enjoy your new tank and allow it to stabilize as it is still in NEW TANK mode

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have SB extremes and great lights. Keep the whites low which are intense on these units.
Although you have the itch for nems, The only one until tank is well established (6-9 mos) I would recommend is a condylactus or Haitian anemone which are basic care and may or may not bond with a clown. They require moderate current and feeding 2-3X per week. DONT rush it though. Focus on water quality and what specimens you have currently. No insult intended but I have noticed your stocking plan is going quickly and continuous additions of livestock is going to have a huge impact on your tank health and possible total loss.
Id pull back for at least 6-10 weeks and enjoy your new tank and allow it to stabilize as it is still in NEW TANK mode

I will look this anomeone up. I've actually am leaning towards no anemone. I'm leaning towards frogspawn and Pulsing Xenia (on its own island). I'd rather not have something that moves and can potetentially limit me in the future as far as it stinging corals.

I will wait at least 1 month before adding anything else and space out any purchases. Definetly no more fish as I feel the tank would be overcrowded with anymore fish.

What do you think would cause a total loss to my system?

I think I would be likely in the clear as far as ammonia goes.

Disease would be possible, but can never be fully ruled out from what I understand.

Screenshot_20190219-194658.jpg

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh also what percent do you run the blues and whites at?

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI Frogspawn sting fish and corals as well

Bummer. I obviously haven't looked much into them yet. At least they don't move, wait or do they? Lol.

Would you recommend frogspawn? I'm still going to research it but I'll take any help steering in the right direction.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will frogspawn and torch coral sting the other fish? Will it/can it kill the fish?

Edit: hang on Philip, let me Google that for you.

Looks like both frogspawn and torches sting soft coral. Seems most fish are smart enough to not touch it, or learn fast. Except for clowns of course. Hmm. I'll have to think about this a while as it seems whatever I pick it may limit me. Not sure by how much, but perhaps some more googling is I order.

Thanks, Philip. Very insightful....

Sorry guys but all this anemone and coral talk has literally blown my mind!

Last edited:

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be pretty harmless to fish, just wanted you to know they sting as well.
Do some research on both BTAs and Frogspawn/Torch corals and decide what you like.
Obviously the coral is easier to care for because the anemone is an animal that requires certain feeding, lighting etc.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be pretty harmless to fish, just wanted you to know they sting as well.
Do some research on both BTAs and Frogspawn/Torch corals and decide what you like.
Obviously the coral is easier to care for because the anemone is an animal that requires certain feeding, lighting etc.

The torch looks the best visually to me. I'll have to run it by my clowns and see what they think.

So as far as an anemone vs frogspawn/torch goes, they are mostly different because the latter can't walk around? Other big differences? I assume both have to be target fed?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I will look this anomeone up. I've actually am leaning towards no anemone. I'm leaning towards frogspawn and Pulsing Xenia (on its own island). I'd rather not have something that moves and can potetentially limit me in the future as far as it stinging corals.

I will wait at least 1 month before adding anything else and space out any purchases. Definetly no more fish as I feel the tank would be overcrowded with anymore fish.

What do you think would cause a total loss to my system?

I think I would be likely in the clear as far as ammonia goes.

Disease would be possible, but can never be fully ruled out from what I understand.

Screenshot_20190219-194658.jpg

Xenia, not bad of a choice. From feeding and population requiring more feeding and producing more waste, Nitrate, phos and ammonia are bound to spike as the numbers are never steady the first few weeks and can produce a surprise spike.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they don't move around, easier to care for I also believe you don't need to target feed them either. Just get reef frenzy or the like and they get what they need from uneatenfood and fish waste

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia, not bad of a choice. From feeding and population requiring more feeding and producing more waste, Nitrate, phos and ammonia are bound to spike as the numbers are never steady the first few weeks and can produce a surprise spike.

Yeah, xenia sounds like something I for sure want to do. It's one that I was drawn to when I first saw it. Since it can be more or less a pest, even better.

Hopefully this won't be me someday, although I find it pretty cool in its own way.

I'd be very surprised at a spike. Nitrate is a whopping 3. But I guess I could see a situation where it could happen. Maybe a large dead snail or any one fish death for any reason. Hopefully that will not happen. I really am going to try to go slower. I have all my fish, which is all I said I cared about. So the tank is already perfect as is. Well... kind of, hopefully I can replace some of my plastic junk with natural corals.

Thank you for everyone who has put up with me so far. I know I can come off as a know it all that doesn't listen to advice. I do truly try to value this advice.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back