When Do You Check Parameters During Water Change?

ptrick21186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Sundays are my tank cleaning days. I do my weekly cleaning/maintenance and tests. I test my Nitrates and Phosphates before my WC but my Mag, Alk, and Calcium after the water change. Alk I also check on Wednesdays as it tends to swing more in my newer tank so I like to ensure my dosing is on point. Obviously the nutrients NEED to be checked before the water change but I'm wondering if I should also be checking the other parameters before it. I use the results after the WC to make any corrections (Instant Ocean Reef Crystals tend to be lower in Mag than I like) that I need which usually isn't much. Just wondering what everyone else does. I don't wanna have to test twice (before and after) if I don't need to.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed water (small amount adding up to ~1% daily) about once an hour, 24/7, so any test was both before and after a recent water change. lol

In other scenarios, it may not matter when you test, as long as you know roughly what levels are in the tank most of the time.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Sundays are my tank cleaning days. I do my weekly cleaning/maintenance and tests. I test my Nitrates and Phosphates before my WC but my Mag, Alk, and Calcium after the water change. Alk I also check on Wednesdays as it tends to swing more in my newer tank so I like to ensure my dosing is on point. Obviously the nutrients NEED to be checked before the water change but I'm wondering if I should also be checking the other parameters before it. I use the results after the WC to make any corrections (Instant Ocean Reef Crystals tend to be lower in Mag than I like) that I need which usually isn't much. Just wondering what everyone else does. I don't wanna have to test twice (before and after) if I don't need to.
If your goal is to determine how to adjust a certain water parameter, test just before you are ready to make the adjustment, which is what you are doing. If you want to understand how the water patameter is trending in the system not related to any water change, e.g., how fast calcium is being consumed, that would involve a test after the adjustment and before the water change.

OP
OP
ptrick21186

ptrick21186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your goal is to determine how to adjust a certain water parameter, test just before you are ready to make the adjustment, which is what you are doing. If you want to understand how the water patameter is trending in the system not related to any water change, e.g., how fast calcium is being consumed, that would involve a test after the adjustment and before the water change.
Ok that's kinda what I had in mind. Depends on what the parameter is I guess. Almost easier to put up the money for a tank controller that monitors these things lol

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back