When does it end??

bday1335

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I am not the only one who feels like their tank is fully stocked with coral, but then you browse and see something you HAVE to add...

With all these live sales, and huge promotions going on weekly it seems, I find myself wondering if I will ever stop buying coral!

My question is when do you slap yourself and say enough is enough, or does that time ever come?

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't. Time to upgrade to a larger tank lol.

But really, at some point we all hit that limit..... and just have to weight on removing older ones you no longer like and replacing with new, etc.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its the temptation and impulse of this hobby.

OP
OP
bday1335

bday1335

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't. Time to upgrade to a larger tank lol.

But really, at some point we all hit that limit..... and just have to weight on removing older ones you no longer like and replacing with new, etc.
Had to compromise with the wife on the new build, I wanted a 220, had to settle with the 120, so I'm stuck for now hahah!

OP
OP
bday1335

bday1335

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because my tank is so small I really have to be choosy about what I buy. I'm at the point where I really only want higher-end stuff and so I've been selling/giving away stuff that no longer interests me.
That's a good way to be! I am very picky as well, I don't just buy to buy, has to be something special!

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its all about perspective -

6 months ago I thought my tank was stocked. Then I moved my tank vertically into a peninsula so all of a sudden I have half a tank thats barren. Time to buy more frags.

Now my other side looks pretty, then I realized its possible to glue to the current back glass pane (the smaller pane now) and also on overflow box, so.. gonna get more frags.

I'm sure by the time my back pane and overflow is stocked, my monti caps would have created more real estate for me to put more frags in those monti shelves

OP
OP
bday1335

bday1335

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its all about perspective -

6 months ago I thought my tank was stocked. Then I moved my tank vertically into a peninsula so all of a sudden I have half a tank thats barren. Time to buy more frags.

Now my other side looks pretty, then I realized its possible to glue to the current back glass pane (the smaller pane now) and also on overflow box, so.. gonna get more frags.

I'm sure by the time my back pane and overflow is stocked, my monti caps would have created more real estate for me to put more frags in those monti shelves
That's one way to create more space! Love it!

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing you have to tell yourself is that " HUGE SALES" arent generally huge at all and sometimes not even discounted enough to warrant an impulse purchase. When "sale" items are marked up and then "slashed" I question that technique. I also don't give a **** about designer corals or name brand pieces. I'm looking for color and what intrigues me.

OP
OP
bday1335

bday1335

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing you have to tell yourself is that " HUGE SALES" arent generally huge at all and sometimes not even discounted enough to warrant an impulse purchase. When "sale" items are marked up and then "slashed" I question that technique. I also don't give a **** about designer corals or name brand pieces. I'm looking for color and what intrigues me.
I work in sales, I totally get this. That's just my excuse :) . Buy what makes you happy, at whatever cost works for you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It is ever present that's for sure!! Honestly, I don't think I will ever stop! I will just keep telling my wife there was a "HUGE SALE" when boxes keep showing up! lol
corals.png

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty bad at impulse buying things that interest me. I can turn up my nose at any expensive color morph of a zoa or acro but if a rare or unique coral comes along (like a Xmas Tree Worm Rock, a Dendrophyllia, a Fox coral, or a purple gorgonian) come along i have a hard time resisting. It haunts me until I give in.

Last edited:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes. Generally speaking i like the vendors on here, but with a few exceptions i wont buy from them. Maybe once a year i will do a live sale as it can be fun(and frustrating) and it is a good way to stock an empty tank, but "regular" prices on website are marked up so much compared to live sale prices. Instead I buy from individuals and some sites that have slightly higher than "live sale" prices, but i have time to consider my purchases and evaluate all the options rather than frantically clicking.

OP
OP
bday1335

bday1335

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty bad at impulse buying things that interest me. I can turn up my nose at any expensive color morph of a spa or acro but if a rare or unique coral comes along (like a Xmas Tree Worm Rock, a Dendrophyllia, a Fox coral, or a purple gorgonian) come along i have a hard time resisting. It haunts me until I give in.
Rare corals attract me as well! Just to have some diversity is great!

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I don't think it ever ends! You see all of these beautiful TOTM's with their negative space, and you strive to be like that . Then you buy, buy, buy, and then your tank gets so full and it just looks ... chaotic! G'bye future TOTM! (well, for me anyways haha) Seriously, I think the bigger challenge is to resist the buying, not the actual coral care! lol

Great thread! I thought I was the only one :)

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I am not the only one who feels like their tank is fully stocked with coral, but then you browse and see something you HAVE to add...

With all these live sales, and huge promotions going on weekly it seems, I find myself wondering if I will ever stop buying coral!

My question is when do you slap yourself and say enough is enough, or does that time ever come?
it never ends I just replace an older coral or one that I am not feeling any more with the new ones. I am currently giving away an acan to a friend to make room for a new bounce that was such a good deal I could not say no

Back