When I start my 40 gallon breeder AIO

roccomorra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am understanding the discussion here right, then when I get my new setup cycled I would need to QT my fish purchases for up to 60 days? Or is this just for suspect fish purchased?

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want healthy fish in your tank. But the big thing is that you will spend money and time building your tank and maintaining it. The last thing you want is pest, diseases and parasites. So QT is a good idea. Not everyone can do it but if you have the room for a small tank that is great for you and your fish.

I QT all my fish, and observe for 6 weeks. They don't get medicated unless there is something wrong.

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like fishface said, it would all depend if you have the space and capacity to set up a QT tank.
A QT is best practice for the reasons above, but I personally don't have the space so cannot/do not QT my fish. But to play it safe, I do try to buy livestock from either websites that sell only quarantined fish or I inspect the fish very carefully at my lfs before bringing it home.

OP
OP
R

roccomorra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the reply. I think I could setup like a 10 gallon qt- would you do this with the very first fish you would introduce to new tank?

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did and I still do. Take a rock or media from your DT and place it in the filter or QT to seed your QT filter. I don't keep my QT tank running all the time. If I think I may buy a fish or coral, I get the tank ready a few days before the purchase

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the reply. I think I could setup like a 10 gallon qt- would you do this with the very first fish you would introduce to new tank?
Yes. You don't want to introduce a parasite that you have to then let your DT sit fallow for weeks (or start all over). A 10 gallon is fine. I have brought home two different sets of damsels only to have them die from velvet within 3 days. They were in a QT tank. See JayHemdal's instructions for quarantining fish.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back