When is the tank mature enough?

Joe Batt

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 15, 2017
Messages
495
Reaction score
284
Location
Dubai
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently restarted my tank after a slow painful crash, from zero using dry rock, a shallow sand bed. The rock was cycled for 6 weeks till it tested no ammonia or nitrite. Also, phosphates testing around 0.05 and decreasing.

I added my old fish and lots of Fritz 900 yet still had a small cycle, but fortunately, that only lasted a few days. The tank is pure Triton with a nice refugium running now also.

This tank is intended to be mainly montipora, chalices and acropora.

The question is how mature/long do you wait to add corals of the various types? ie LPS SPS. My last tank was my first and was running for 6 months with just a few softies before I progressed to more demanding hard corals, plus it was live rock initially. Some 3 years later it slowly crashed and hence I am back to square one.
 
Last edited:
Once your parameters are in control you can add coral. At least that's the way I have done it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new