when keeping seahorses how do you....

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When keeping seahorses how do you maintain the lower temperature of 74/75? I just looked at the price of a chiller? Does everyone with Seahorses make the investment? Other suggestions? and will the other inhabitants of my tank do OK in the lower temp? I was going to keep blue headed jaw fish b/c they also prefer cooler water? But what about clown gobies / mandarins / scooter blennies?

What do you do with the babies? I want a male/female pair but I don't want to raise babies?

Neptune

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When keeping seahorses how do you maintain the lower temperature of 74/75? I just looked at the price of a chiller? Does everyone with Seahorses make the investment? Other suggestions? and will the other inhabitants of my tank do OK in the lower temp? I was going to keep blue headed jaw fish b/c they also prefer cooler water? But what about clown gobies / mandarins / scooter blennies?

What do you do with the babies? I want a male/female pair but I don't want to raise babies?

Neptune
Hi Neptune, a lot will depend on your location. I have a chiller because I live in Pennsylvania and our house did not have A/C when I set my tank up. Now I do have A/C and would not really need the chiller. A fan blowing across the DT's surface or the sump's surface can bring the temperature down 2-3 degrees also. When you set your tank up monitor the temperature before you go out and buy a chiller because like you said, that is a pricey piece of equipment.

Yes, most seahorse safe coral and the fish I have kept are fine in temperatures 70-74°. I have never kept any of the fish you mentioned however.

You can give the seahorse fry away to folks who would like to try their hand at raising them. I gave mine away to the lfs that I sold the seahorses I raised. There are ways to ship seahorse fry to keepers who are will to pay the shipping to raise the fry. My pair left off bearing after the first year. Its very charming to watch seahorses court and it is one of the joys of having them.

Annette Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Texas and I don't have a chiller my seahorse Tank is kept at 70-72 degrees but I keep my central air at 70 degrees so that keeps my tank cold. I have clown gobies scooter blennys but I can only keep moon snails cuz all other snails die from the cold water I also don't do corals.

reef_grrrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank stays the same temp as my house. We always have the house set to 73, summer or winter. I use LED lights and a low-isa wattage return pump so I'm not adding extra heat to the tank.

mhaun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I opted to "test the waters" and run my tank at 77. No issues for 2+ years. Increase in temp allowed my corals and gorgs to start growing better.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back